Trailer Hitch Cover Removal - What's the secret?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a brand new Limited SPP.

Today for the first time I tried to remove the trailer hitch cover. I couldn't get it to move!

I read the manual. I pulled upward and outward from the bottom of the cover. There is a finger grip recess so I know I was in the right place. I pulled REALLY hard until the entire rear bumper cover started to flex outward.

Then I crawled under. I see there are 2 tabs that hold it in so I tried pulling hard AND pressing on the tabs upward at the same time. No luck.

I am afraid to pull much harder for fear of hurting something.

Is there a "trick" I am missing?
Anyone else have this problem?

(This also seems like a supremely cheesy solution for a $90K vehicle. )

Last edited:

BSarchet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same exact experience. It will eventually come off and it is easier after a few times. What I had to do was pull on the hand grip at the bottom with one hand and then with the other feel under and behind that and you will feel a seam where the two pieces come together. Pry your fingers in there at the same time or use something flat to gently pry in there while you pull. Then the bumper isn’t flexing out. You’ll get it.

CDNRabbit

Reaction score
Feel around just past the seam under the bumper and locate the tabs from the cover that slot into the bumper. Keep tension on the cover by pulling on the slot and release each tab one at a time by pressing up on them. You don't need much force at all and definitely no tools.

JoeM

Reaction score
I had the same problem with a 23 Expedition......as stated above, you need to press in on the two tabs that are on the cover and then pull out using the hand grip
Makes more sense if you get look under there the first time

OP
OP
A

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used a trim removal tool to gently pry it apart.

This helped a lot!

I have plastic trim removal tools with nice soft edges. I used one in the seam while pulling the handle and it popped right off. Thanks.

OP
OP
A

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, the 4th gen trailer hitch is significantly higher than the previous gen. I am going to need a draw bar with at least an 8 inch drop.