Trailer Sway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fotozeman

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2015 Expediton XLT EL, coming from a 2008 Nissan Armada. I tow a Sunset Trail 26bhs camper that weighs 5500 dry, and I use a Fastway E2 WDH with Trunion bars. Making no adjustments to my WD bars or hitch between vehicles, the first several times I pulled the camper I immediately noticed sway, unlike I ever had with the Armada. The sway really feels like it is in the Ford, not coming from the camper.

I was told at the dealer that the vehicle was good for 9300# and that it has the HD Tow Package. I assume this is correct.

First thing, there was about a 2 inch height difference of the receiver from the Armada to the Exp.

So, what we did today as per the Fastway E2 instructions was to measure the ball coupler on the camper, and then adjusted the hitch accordingly. It was 22", so I raised my ball 2 hole positions to get it equal (assuming this got me back to the height it was with the Armada). I took measurements on the front wheels first, and then with camper load without the sway bars connected. Took another measurement. Then I attached the weight distribution bars and they raised the front wheels almost back up to where they were without a load on them. Following the video, this was the goal of what the weight distribution bars should do. Did this on a level surface, trailer and Exp were both level, not much drop on the hitch as if the camper was weighing down the tongue too much. It looked good by several eyes.

Tire pressure at 35 psi.

Drove it, and again right at the start experienced lots of sway, and to explain it, it felt like the SUV was on water, kind of swaying back and forth, not up and down. Seems worse right around 50 and was able to drive through it.

Stopped at gas station and inflated tires to 40 psi (max is 51 for these Goodyear Wranglers). Also, turned OFF the sway control in the "trailer set up" in the Ford menu. It says not to, but was wondering if the sway control built in was actually working against the weight distribution bars on the camper. Between the added air pressure and turning off the sway control, it really seemed to help, but not really sure if I should turn that Sway Control Off.

That's about where I am at. I did not have this sway feeling in my vehicle at all with the Armada, and am trying to figure this out because it doesn't seem right.

Thanks All...other than this issue, really love the new Expediton, it pulls my camper like a dream!!

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
If you follow the instructions on setting up the E2 correctly, it won't be the reason for your sway. If you have good trailer tires with stiff sidewalls and are set to the proper psi and good Expy tires rated for towing with stiff sidewalls set to the proper psi they won't be the reason for your sway either. If your trailer is loaded/balanced correctly, ditto. Won't be the reason for trailer sway. I'd start there. I tow a 24' enclosed car trailer with my 17. If it's loaded wrong, sway. If I didn't set up the E2 correctly, sway. If I didn't inflate the tires enough, sway.
I now have next to zero sway because I've learned about setting up my Expy, tow hitch and trailer for towing.

Dr0idattack

Reaction score
I use an E4 1200 on a 2013 normal pulling a retro that’s around 6000 loaded and 27’-ish. After getting everything correct I can go 70+ with minimal issues and loaded with family.

Using an Andersen WDH I had a lot of sway, but the E4 got rid of most of it. I think an E2 has two points less sway control than an E4.

I have to note that I also run E class tires (max psi 80) and Bilstein 4600s that might help things stay a little stiffer.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Inflate your expy tires to 50psi, also your trailer tires should be inflated to MAX sidewall cold pressure as indicated on the tires themselves (most likely 50 psi). If hitch is setup correctly there should be no sway. Maybe a little wiggle that is normal on the expy due to the IRS and soft sidewall wrangler tires. The wranglers HAVE to be max inflated in the rear for trailer towing, they are just too soft to begin with.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Based on your description, it sounds like your tongue weight is too low. I suggest visiting a scale. Also, as someone else commented your tire pressure should be inflated to max when towing, as the tires have their max load bearing capacity at tire pressure max. But I doubt that is causing the sway.