Trailer Wiring Fault

Discussion in '3rd Gen - 2007 - 2017' started by Muddy Bean, Apr 12, 2019.

1. cmiles97

cmiles97 Full Access Members

I was reading a long term (40,000 mile) report on a 2017 Ford Raptor and this came up as an issue.

"The 30,000-mile mark passed during a wet, salty February. About that time, our truck's trailer-wire plug kept shorting and causing an unrelenting instrument-cluster warning as well as an audible bong every time the short occurred. And if you're wondering how Ford deals with an issue like this—according to our dealer, it afflicted many F-150s—it's to blow compressed air into the contaminated plug and wait for drier weather to arrive, which it did. In June. In the meantime, the bonging continued."

Maybe replacing the wiring or pin connector would solve the issue?

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a23888636/2017-ford-f-150-raptor-reliability-maintenance/

2. Muddy Bean

Muddy Bean Full Access Members

Just an update. Ordered a new FORD OEM controller as I do like the integration of sway control, trailer settings, burned out bulb notification etc of the OEM controller that aftermarket units just don’t have. As soon as I install the new one I’ll post back to let you know if it fixed my issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

iimagine likes this.
  3. BobB

BobB Member

HELP!!

I have a 2013 Expy Limited with the tow package. It will not recognize the trailer when I plug it in, I have directionals, brake lights and running lights but no brake controller. Anyone ever experience this?

Bob

4. chuck s

chuck s Full Access Members

Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
  5. Muddy Bean

Ok
    Replaced my controller today with a new ford one and problem fixed. So if you’re getting a trailer wiring fault and don’t think your wiring is messed up, it’s probably the controller. Just replace it. Happy to have this fixed.

iimagine likes this.
  6. 99WhiteC5Coupe

99WhiteC5Coupe Full Access Members

My DIC displayed the message yesterday - dry and clear for about the past week.

My base warranty has expired, but I have the extended Ford warranty (but a $100 deductible). The Ford dealer did NOTHING while the vehicle was under warranty, despite several trips to the dealer (once with a picture of the message).

What was the cost of the controller? Is it just a “plug and use” controller?

Thanks in advance.

7. Muddy Bean

Yep plug in and go. It’s a little over $100 depending on where you get it from. Mine was tasca

99WhiteC5Coupe likes this.