Tranny fluid change advice needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

callwill

Reaction score
New to me 2011 exped xlt el. 107k miles. No information on how it was maintained, but it looks fantastic and runs/drives great. I do not have the owners manual. Want to change the tranny fluid. Is it mercon LV? The plan is to pull the plug and pump fluid out. Expecting we will get 7-8 qts out of it, then we will pump in the same amount we took out. Not dropping the pan, not changing the filter. The big question is, will some fluid come running out if the plug is pulled without the engine running?

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
C

callwill

Reaction score
Thanks, Mercon LV it is. Ive seen several videos including that one, it just was not clear to me if fluid would run out if uncorked without the engine running.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since that’s the fill hole, it would be tough to put in more fluid than the fill plug level. Of course if the fluid is hot, then it might spill out of the hole since the fluid does “expand” when it gets hot.

OP
OP
C

callwill

Reaction score
Thinking i may as well drop the pan and change the filter too. As i search for the trans filter i get 2 different filters from autozone. 2 similar but different filters with different diameter pick up tubes. 1 inch and 1.5 inch...
how do i know with out dropping the pan!

OP
OP
C

callwill

Reaction score
Transfer case also uses Mercon LV? Not "transfer case fluid"? I see the front and rear diffs require different fluids...

Last edited: