Tranny slips in OD and when putting in drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
LOU.... SEAL!! BAHAAAAAAWAAAA. I JUST GOT THAT. Lucille. Bwaaaaaahaaaa. I love it.

Somebody slide that crack back over here I need another hit.

OP
OP
J

JsnMartinez1313

Reaction score
@1955moose Yeah, I'm going to have to swap it myself, I guess. Can't afford to have a shop do it. Thanks for the advice. Was hoping I wouldn't have to replace teh whole damn thing...

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@1955moose Yeah, I'm going to have to swap it myself, I guess. Can't afford to have a shop do it. Thanks for the advice. Was hoping I wouldn't have to replace teh whole damn thing...

That's been about the Story of My Life but I have learned a lot over the years because of necessity.
Now that we have forums like this we can actually ask for advice and pointers from friends.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's amazing even after 45 years of getting dirty, I'm still learning new things daily. On transmissions, sadly you end up tearing into the innards, or replacing with a reman. Sometimes you get lucky with just an electrical part, but not often. Their a complex unit, that requires dilagent maintenance, which most don't do. Letting a transmission go 150k on same fluid, while towing too, is suicide on these units. Very few vehicles have the capability to tow an 7,000 pound trailer, for extended lengths, but individuals do it, because the owners book said so. You will rarely see a vehicle that tows regularly without add on coolers and such make it past 100k on their transmission if that long . Ideally a manual transmission with a fairly stout clutch, would be a nice option, but Ford stopped those years back. Tow trucks that lasted had just that combo. Replacing a clutch is under $200.00 if done yourself.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Gregg Eshelman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One thing with these that makes transmission maintenance more difficult that it should be is there's no dipstick tube. To check the fluid you have to put the truck up on four ramps or jackstands, or on a lift rack. Then you have to have it running while getting up in between the transmission and HOT catalytic converter to unscrew the cap over a stubby plastic dipstick.

Who makes an aftermarket dipstick tube for this generation of Expedition? I can only find them for cars like Mustangs, or for other models where the new tube has O rings and pushes in. These transmissions need a tube with a threaded end to go in place of the cap.

My 07 EL is getting to have a bit of a bump in some shifts and I want to do a fluid and filter change without paying a stealership nearly $400. Of course I'll include a bottle of Lucas. That cured my 1997 Taurus of slamming hard into 1st when taking off from a stop.