Trans Cooler or Other Mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackfoot

Reaction score
I've got the HD towing package with the larger transmission cooler on my 2005 Expedition, but should I consider an aftermarket upgrade or additional cooler? Can you have 2 coolers? Secondly, can anybody recommend upgrades to increase engine performance while towing?

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes you can have 2 coolers. I'd put the aftermarket one after the factory aux cooler.

Do you know what temp you're seeing now?

As far as upgrades: look into getting a tune.

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like ExplorerTom said you can add a secondary cooler. But I would try and look at trans temps first as it might not be necessary.

And I second the tune being the first option as not only will you gain some power but the shift schedule changes can make a big difference in driveability.

OP
OP
B

blackfoot

Reaction score
How about going to 4.10 gears along with a tuner? Too expensive of a solution or not a good solution?

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Too expensive is a matter of your finances. Gears and a tune would be a great solution. The gears will ease the strain on the engine/transmission and the tune will make it run closer to peak performance.

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you know what gears are in the truck now? 4.10s may not give you the change you'd expect if you're starting with 3.73s. Do you have/plan on larger tires are that will effectively gear down the truck. There are gear/tire size calculators online that will let you see the difference in RPM with gear or tire size changes. That can help you figure out what gears you would be more comfortable with. It really depends on your budget and what you intend to do with the truck. 3.73s might be fine for some and 4.88s for others.

OP
OP
B

blackfoot

Reaction score
Mostly used to transport the wife and kids around town and on 55mph highways. Tow the camper on during the summer. It's got the HD town package with the 3.73 gears right now (pretty sure anyway, I guess I need to verify) 4.10 wouldn't give me much over the 3.73? Go to 4.56? Or just scrap the gear change idea? Planning on pulling a camper with a GVWR of 7500 to 7700lbs and 600-700lb tongue weight. In Alaska so I have a few steep grades to conquer.

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
3.73s to 4.10s is only around a 200 rpm difference at 55mph. With the cost involved with two sets of gears, related parts, and labor it's not worth it to me personally. Not going much over 55mph I would go with much deeper gears. But it's not for everyone. I've known people who complained about 3.73s in cars with overdrive and others who went 4.56s in cars with 26" tires and loved it. Biggest change I've done personally is 2.73s to 4.10s in a Lincoln Mark VIII and loved it. It was a different car after and much more fun to drive.

You can pay around with this to get a better idea: http://www.summitracing.com/expertadviceandnews/calcsandtools/gear-ratio-calculator

In the end it's all subjective. 4.10s will give you a little help pulling whether that or another gear ratio is worth the cost of the swap and the change in drive-ability/gas mileage(which may actually improve depending on ratio and how you drive) is up to you.

Last edited:

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my Explorer, I swapped out the 3.55 gears for 4.56 on basically the stock size tire. It towed like a freight train and would practically jump through an intersection, but going faster than 70 mph...... there was a certain resonance that just made it feel like it wasn't going to be happy going faster than that.

Then I put on 33" tires which knocked me down to the equivalent of stock sized tires and 4.10 gears (and 4.10 was the highest available gear ratio for Explorers).

I think I paid about $800 for the gears all installed.