Trans Cooler or Other Mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

blackfoot

Reaction score
I talked to a mechanic about getting the gears changed and he said he would recommend just changing the stock tires out for 245's or whatever would get me down to 30" tires and that would effectively give me what I'm looking for. Sound right? He said he'd love to charge me to change the gears but would recommend the tire swap to save money.

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tire size will affect the final drive and smaller tires will effectively lower the final ratio. Again depending on how you use the vehicle this may or may not work for you. Smaller tires will probably negatively affect the ride, will definitely lower ground clearance, and will make it more difficult to navigate off road. You should also be aware of load rating of a smaller set of tires. And the speedo will be off(gears would affect this as well) newer vehicles can be corrected via a tune.

If those don't seem like real issues go ahead.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tow a 7600GVWR travel trailer with my 2003 2 valve 5.4 and in the dead of summer I have never seen more than 210° in trans temps. Get yourself the Torque Pro app for $10 and a wireless dongle off Amazon for $10 too. You can monitor everything you want, and it does CEL light stuff too...

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you get to 220 for more than a few minutes back off, you don't ever want to get 230+. 210's or lower your just fine.

richs fishes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tow a 7600GVWR travel trailer with my 2003 2 valve 5.4 and in the dead of summer I have never seen more than 210° in trans temps. Get yourself the Torque Pro app for $10 and a wireless dongle off Amazon for $10 too. You can monitor everything you want, and it does CEL light stuff too...

I could not get Torque Pro to display trans temperature correctly. It was always exactly the same temp as the coolant. I found the Forscan Lite app much more useful!

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I could not get Torque Pro to display trans temperature correctly. It was always exactly the same temp as the coolant. I found the Forscan Lite app much more useful!

huh, mine has always worked right. There are two different trans temps readouts for it, you have to select the right one

richs fishes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
huh, mine has always worked right. There are two different trans temps readouts for it, you have to select the right one

yeah I found 2 options and they always read the same which was identical to the coolant temp. For a while i figured maybe the trans cooler right in front of the radiator somehow made the temp of both fluids the same but once I tried Forscan I saw vastly different trans temp numbers which made much more sense!