Trans more downshifts after Update.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since they updated the software on my 2018 Expedition (6 months ago or whenever that was), the trans now downshifts on every dam hill it climbs. Previous to this software update, the trans would hold 10th gear at 63mph and climb almost ANY hill and NOT downshift. It did hold 63Mph, and was very quiet and I loved it. NOW, it downshifts into 8th gear on every dam hill and it drives me crazy. Even in Eco mode it downshifts to 8th gear. It seems like its such a waste of fuel and additional transmission wear. I drove it 3 hours yesterday, and it must of shifted hundreds of times from 10th to 8th and back. It just seems like a total waste of transmission wear. My wife even said, "why is it shifting all the time?" She doesn't notice much, lol

It shifts perfectly every time, but it just seems to shift so many additional times now. Have you guys noticed this as well since the update that Ford did?

We ran this thing to Florida in the past (24 hrs each way) and it literally NEVER downshifted unless we were in the mountains. I can't even imagine how many million times it will shift the next trip to Florida. Again, its not any trans failure symptoms, just additional want to downshift out of 10th.

Anyone else notice this?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It is counter intuitive, but the downshift heading up a grade actually saves fuel, and stress on the trans.

When you are in 10th climbing, the motor is in to Boost. When it downshifts it uses RPM's instead of more boost. The RPM's uses less fuel, vs getting in to the boost.

Edit: Reading my post it sounds like a 3rd grader wrote it. Been a long weekend of working on my house AC, and my brain is roasted.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is counter intuitive, but the downshift heading up a grade actually saves fuel, and stress on the trans.

When you are in 10th climbing, the motor is in to Boost. When it downshifts it uses RPM's instead of more boost. The RPM's uses less fuel, vs getting in to the boost.

Edit: Reading my post it sounds like a 3rd grader wrote it. Been a long weekend of working on my house AC, and my brain is roasted.
I guess that does make sense, but after seeing a million trans failures at 60,000 miles on the facebook group page, I fear that mine will puke its guts too with all these additional shifts. Seems like they are puking trannys non stop.

19FX4Max

Reaction score
Our 2019 FX4 has always downshifted on the slightest hill or incline but ours does have a leveling kit and a larger heavier tire than factory. When driving through the Texas hill country with 55 to 60 mph zones I lock it in a gear that holds 2k to 2200 rpms because it bugs me. However, we just picked ours up a couple weeks ago after a long wait for a catalytic converter and drove 450 miles right after picking it up. I used 93 octane for the first time and there was 0 downshifting on hills for the entire drive and I got near 22 mpg, the best I usually see on the highway has been around 18+-. Before heading home I filled up with 91 octane which was the highest octane available. I still had 0 downshifting but was back around 18 mpg. I filled up about 60 miles from home with 87 octane because regular was cheap, premium was particularly high at this station, and I wasn't seeing great fuel mileage. As soon as I got on the highway and set the cruise control it was back to downshifting on every hill and overpass and mpg was in the mid 17s. I think I will start using premium fuel on trips especially when the difference to fill up is within 10 to 15 dollars.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This has always been fed premium, which here is only 91 octane. I've never ran it on regular.
Its something with the new updated trans programing. It made 23mpg on the computer display, but that's only 21 on paper probably.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This has always been fed premium, which here is only 91 octane. I've never ran it on regular.
Its something with the new updated trans programing. It made 23mpg on the computer display, but that's only 21 on paper probably.
Deadman is 100% correct. This appears to be the new default for the 10Speeds. The PowerBoosts(Hybrid 150's) were getting trans shuttering because of the integration of the Electric motor in the system, and the previous programming that had it hold the higher gear longer. The non-hybrids saw the issue too, but not nearly as bad. The solution, down shift, or lock out the higher gears. Also it has been well documented that loaded, or pulling in the 150 groups/forums with the 3.5 and the 10 Speed locking out 9/10, and sometimes 8, helps MPG by a good percentage. Lugging and Boost vs RPM's with no boost.

I also thinking spinning the motor a little quicker helps with cooling, and the trans cooler is tied to the engine, so it helps the Trans too.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Deadman is 100% correct. This appears to be the new default for the 10Speeds. The PowerBoosts(Hybrid 150's) were getting trans shuttering because of the integration of the Electric motor in the system, and the previous programming that had it hold the higher gear longer. The non-hybrids saw the issue too, but not nearly as bad. The solution, down shift, or lock out the higher gears. Also it has been well documented that loaded, or pulling in the 150 groups/forums with the 3.5 and the 10 Speed locking out 9/10, and sometimes 8, helps MPG by a good percentage. Lugging and Boost vs RPM's with no boost.

I also thinking spinning the motor a little quicker helps with cooling, and the trans cooler is tied to the engine, so it helps the Trans too.
Ya, my trip was just on small rural roads with some mild hills, so it slid into 10th on the flat and downhill, but EVERY darn uphill it had to dump into 8th part way up. They were no big hills at all, but enough to force a downshift. It just got annoying feeling and hearing it downshift so much on such a simple road.
I'll just wait for the 125,000 mile extended warranty to replace the trans someday! lol.

cptbligh

Reaction score
Yep just had this same thread a few days ago on the F150 g14 forum, but guy was complaining of shuddering at low rpms because it didn't down shift. First thing I do when I get in my 150/Expy is lockout 9th and 10th gear unless I'm going to be steady state cruising at 60+ on flat ground.

They gave us 10 gears so may as well use them. No point lugging along at 1200 rpm with the turbo gobbling up fuel when you don't have to.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree, but its just amazing that Ford goes from the mindset of no downshifts to non stop downshifts in just 1 update. Either way, they obviously learned something.....