Trans Noise_Maybe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donl

Reaction score
New noise that recently presented on my '03 Expy with 160Kmiles. Phone was held just under body from the drivers side. Noise presents when trans is in gear, R or D; still presents in N or P but barely audible. Noise is intermittent and best described as a rattle; sounds a bit like something loose and rattling around in the trans or bell housing. No codes and trans performs as usual. Right now, the above points to the trans but maybe something else. I have pushed/pulled on exhaust, no change. Any thoughts?

I have a video file .mp4 of the noise but it won't upload.

OP
OP
donl

donl

Reaction score
Update

Not a trans noise at all; tranny is fine. I finally got the vehicle up on a lift and started pushing, pulling, shaking the exhaust system because that was my first target as the source of the noise. I had tried to do this with the vehicle on the ground but access was limited. I found the noise coming from the catalytic converters; I tapped them with a rubber mallet and the noise is from loose pieces of the catalyst that have separated from the core. The cats are Walker brand, SS with lifetime warrant purchased from Rock Auto in November, 2016 and installed a month later, so in service for less than the 5 year/50K mile structural warrant. Walker website indicates that there are three conditions that warranty does not cover and one of them is catalyst "fragmentation", so I am expecting push back from Walker on the warranty claim and the process will reveal whether or not Walker will stand behind their product.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another reason just to upgrade to a “phukkking ecoboost,” brosef

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357