Trans Temp. thru Kenwood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's not actually simpler though ... :) An UltraGauge, ScanGauge or similar would be the simplest route.
After everything I’ve seen here about getting them programmed, I disagree. Ford made this needlessly complex by blocking access to the information to begin with, and I want to bypass all that.

purevw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi All,
Not quite sure where to post this question due to the different variables.
I have a Kenwood DNX994s installed in my 13 Expy EL. It has the ability to hook up to the ODB2 connection and allows me to read different PIDs for the vehicle. The whole reason I installed this was to be able to monitor the Trans Temp while towing. It was awesome in my 08 F250, so I knew it had to work in my 13 Expy, right? Well, I have more options than I want, but I don't have the trans temp.
Does anyone have any ideas what I could do? Is this something the dealer can turn on for me as far as the PIDs go? The Kenwood has the option for me to assign it to whatever gauge placement I want but it is grayed out due to no signal. I have scan for PIDs through the Kenwood but it is never located.
I appreciate any and all of your help. Yupster, Loki ??
I have a 2011 with a Kenwood / Maestro combo. I have never tried to see transmission temps in my vehicle but may have a suggestion. The Maestro has to be flashed with firmware for the spefic vehicle. People are suggesting programming the Kenwood, when the Maestro may be the problem. If it is greyed out, then the Kenwood is saying it's unavailable. You might take your question to a Maestro forum, as Maestro firmware can be updated and the problem may be something they missed for your particular vehicle. Maybe they could write a patch to enable it.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After everything I’ve seen here about getting them programmed, I disagree. Ford made this needlessly complex by blocking access to the information to begin with, and I want to bypass all that.

Ford hasn't blocked access to anything. Trans temp is outside the standard protocols for just about every vehicle on the market. Nonetheless, you can pull it from every Expedition out there with nearly every halfway decent OBD tool on the market.

You can get the UltraGauge MX pre-programmed for Ford. Then you just plug it in to the OBD port and you're done. Some people fail to get it pre-programmed though or they carried it over from a previous brand vehicle, in which one would need to program it (I had to reprogram some functions for my wife's Honda as she brought the UG over from her Mazda). That's, literally, just typing in a provided code though. If you would rather go through a couple hours of labor versus plugging a device into the OBD port though, have at it. :)

OP
OP

1oldtimer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, we hooked up a decent scanner to it over the weekend. It can read the trans temp. But what fails to show up when testing the idiot lights is, no trans temp warning light. Maybe just the wrench shows up if there is an issue. But without the idiot light, I doubt that I will ever get the Kenwood to read the Trans Temp. I could be wrong, but I thnk its a lost cause. I do plan on calling iDatalink and talk to them about it an see what they say.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze