Transfer case problems!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BenzoEST1990

Reaction score
I hit a curb on the front driver side and broke my CV joint I replaced it and I still have a popping noise when I accelerate I don't know if it's the front differential or the transfer case but I didn't change it and now it wouldn't stop making the popping noise and the front end locked up on me don't know what it is

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Remove both cv’s and go for a drive. Could be the front brake, front diff, wheel bearing etc. It’s a start anyway. What year is your expy?

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To prevent giving you bad advice. If the axle nut isn’t holding the bearing pack together it should be ok. I have 99 but I can’t remember for sure what it looks like. I’m in Rio Rancho. Are you in ABQ? I may be able to swing by

GilGraue

Reaction score
Hey Chris could you give me some advice??? I have a 2002 Expy Eddie Bauer. About 3 years ago my wife was cleaning the inside. My young boy switched it to either 4High or 4Low. Wife then drive down about a block and called me saying it was running weird. It seems to be stuck in 4Low. I tried several "tricks" to get it to disengage with no luck. I replaced the transfer case shift motor and still nothing. I ended up pulling the front driveline in order to be able to drive the vehicle. I really wanna get the AWD and 4WD going again. Please help!!! I'm in Rio Rancho...

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Chris could you give me some advice??? I have a 2002 Expy Eddie Bauer. About 3 years ago my wife was cleaning the inside. My young boy switched it to either 4High or 4Low. Wife then drive down about a block and called me saying it was running weird. It seems to be stuck in 4Low. I tried several "tricks" to get it to disengage with no luck. I replaced the transfer case shift motor and still nothing. I ended up pulling the front driveline in order to be able to drive the vehicle. I really wanna get the AWD and 4WD going again. Please help!!! I'm in Rio Rancho...

I’ll try to help. What tricks have you tried? Are you sure the selector switch is working? Can you, or have you pulled the shift motor and cycled through the selector options to ensure the motor is doing what it needs to? If you want, you can send me a private message and I’ll give you my contact info. I’m leaving town on Wednesday morning to go to my daughters Marine Corp boot camp graduation but I’ll be back on Saturday.