transmission cluncking going into reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zac Harris

Reaction score
hey guys i have a 2019 XLT with 5800 miles. i started noticing when shifting from park to reverse i hear a cluncking noise. only happens from park to reverse. it happens on flat ground or a incline. Any ideas?

Kmdcolo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you set the parking brake before you remove your foot from the brake?

I only have a thump if I don’t use the parking brake. I now use it 100% of the time.

OP
OP
Z

Zac Harris

Reaction score
i dont use it. i havent tried it, but being on a flat surface it shouldnt be in a bind.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If its when you first start the car in the morning, the engine is cold and is high idling sometimes. That hi idle going into reverse slams in much harder than after it idles down when warmed up.
just a thought.

OP
OP
Z

Zac Harris

Reaction score
when my wife first told me i thought thats what it was. but when she got home last night it was still doing it

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unfortunately, this is a known quirk of the ford sourced 10 sp. Its starting to show up in the explorer aviator cars as well

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the clunk occasionally. If you wait 2 minutes after cold start or 30 seconds after warm start, the rpm will drop to 600 and you get noticeably lower clunk.

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine does it too. It’s on the list for the next service appt.

Ronb1

Reaction score
I’ve had mine in as well. Dealership said there was a code and system rebooted. That was about a month ago. Now my 360 camera/park assist and dash button not working....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk