transmission cluncking going into reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Clunking into any gear is not “normal “ which is what some dealers are going to tell you.

If they say that mention you’re calling FoMo.

Wnomis

Reaction score
I have taken mine to the dealer for this and they said it was “normal” it makes a funky clunk when going from park to reverse or drive to reverse. I have experimented at a stop sign and it just does it. The tranny has no issues with changing or noises in D 1-10 and I tow a camper around 4K#s and have never had a issue with it making noises shifting through the gears. I mentioned it again to the service advisor I spoke with, he said he hears a lot about in the F150s

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine clunks into Drive or Reverse, even on the slightest incline. I now use the Ebrake all the time and it eliminates that issue.

jking05

Reaction score
Mine will do that every once in awhile. Feels like it slams into reverse even on flat surface.

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On a cold start my 2018 XLT when shifting to reverse, the tranny will slam into gear to the point that it will actually lurch backwards if my foot is not firmly planted on the brake. I got 16k miles and I just noticed this behavior about a month ago or so. Now, usually the rpms are still running at 1100 or so. I have been waiting for the truck to idle down before shifting, usually 30 seconds or so.