Transmission Clunk 3rd Gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jay Dubs

Reaction score
I should add...Mine shifted smooth as butter first 6 months (+/-).

I bought mine used so I can't speak for how it was originally. I don't think it's gotten any better or worse since I've had it. I test drove in warm weather when it wasn't as noticeable.

Reaction score
I didn't realize until after I bought my 2018 with 21k on the clock, that a snap ring had let go around 13k, which required a rebuild as well. It messes up the fluid pressure...I believe..
If I remember correctly it was allowing the clutch packs to move too far? Reguardless, I purchased extended warranty bc I don’t trust it anymore.

TsmH

Reaction score
My '18 does exactly what you are describing, both scenarios. It's almost like there is a band that is snapping into place as the gears catch.

That’s the exact description like something is catching. Did it resolve itself?

spc19498

Reaction score
Have the same problem. Shift from 3-4 and from 5-6-5. Brought it the dealer, of course they said “unable to duplicate” normal operation. 18’ Expedition Max Limited, 27k miles. I’m going back next week for a module to be replaced for another issue and have them drive it again. I’ll update if they actually find something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update - technician was able to duplicate the issue I was having, which is very similar to a lot of the other posters in this thread. They replaced the Valve Body in the transmission. Picked it up on Monday and have driven it considerably since and have not had the problem again. Smooth shifting and no clunking. Hopefully this helps some of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeinaz

Reaction score
I have an 18 Platinum w/ 12k miles. Took it in at 3k due to 3rd gear shifting hard and clunking when accelerating while in 3rd. First time in, splines on output shaft were greased and sound went away for 6 months.

Took it back in as noise returned and they replaced valve body, I went in to drive it and problem was still there. They contacted Ford and they told them to rebuild the transmission or at least all of 3rd gear. They did that, I drove it and problem still there. Also cleared all codes and reprogramed. Still there.

Ford said to replace transmission, waited for that to come in and after 48 days w/out my vehicle, went in and drove it and as soon as I put it in gear I hear a loud clunk! Drove it and problem still there plus my loud clunk now. Service mgr put it on the lift and again, trans came with dry splines so they were lubed, clunk wet away but even w/ a new transmission, 3rd gear issue still there.

The 2020 rental Expedition they gave me had no such issue, service manager said now that he felt it, he drove a few he had there and all the 18's did it, the 20's did not. I am going to try to get an extended warranty from For, love the vehicle but this trans worries me and problem is still there. Will keep updating as I try to work thru this issue.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an 18 Platinum w/ 12k miles. Took it in at 3k due to 3rd gear shifting hard and clunking when accelerating while in 3rd. First time in, splines on output shaft were greased and sound went away for 6 months.

Took it back in as noise returned and they replaced valve body, I went in to drive it and problem was still there. They contacted Ford and they told them to rebuild the transmission or at least all of 3rd gear. They did that, I drove it and problem still there. Also cleared all codes and reprogramed. Still there.

Ford said to replace transmission, waited for that to come in and after 48 days w/out my vehicle, went in and drove it and as soon as I put it in gear I hear a loud clunk! Drove it and problem still there plus my loud clunk now. Service mgr put it on the lift and again, trans came with dry splines so they were lubed, clunk wet away but even w/ a new transmission, 3rd gear issue still there.

The 2020 rental Expedition they gave me had no such issue, service manager said now that he felt it, he drove a few he had there and all the 18's did it, the 20's did not. I am going to try to get an extended warranty from For, love the vehicle but this trans worries me and problem is still there. Will keep updating as I try to work thru this issue.

wow. What a complete bummer.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Did they change the torque converter when they replaced the transmission?? The clunk during acceleration in 3rd could be the TC clutch engaging violently.

mikeinaz

Reaction score
Did they change the torque converter when they replaced the transmission?? The clunk during acceleration in 3rd could be the TC clutch engaging violently.
I don't believe so, they did not mention it. Why would it not do it in the other gears tho? They wanted to replace the driveshaft and inspect the rear dif, I asked them if either of those two were the problem, why didn't other gears, especially first gear do it? I hate things taken apart, they never go back together or seal quite like new. Will ask about the tc.

On a total side note, my dash warped a bit and I thought they could just replace this strip of trim but instead ordered in a whole new dash. Seats, dash, console...all has to be removed. I told them I would deal with the piece of trim and not have rattles and squeaks everywhere.