Transmission Clunk 3rd Gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

armoredsaint

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have the same issue also, it seems to hunt for the right gear and it clunks sometimes

Johnb21

Reaction score
I don't believe so, they did not mention it. Why would it not do it in the other gears tho? They wanted to replace the driveshaft and inspect the rear dif, I asked them if either of those two were the problem, why didn't other gears, especially first gear do it? I hate things taken apart, they never go back together or seal quite like new. Will ask about the tc.

On a total side note, my dash warped a bit and I thought they could just replace this strip of trim but instead ordered in a whole new dash. Seats, dash, console...all has to be removed. I told them I would deal with the piece of trim and not have rattles and squeaks everywhere.

I have the warp dashboard thing too. Driver's side. Gonna just live with it for now.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't believe so, they did not mention it. Why would it not do it in the other gears tho? .

In my 10 speed, the torque converter clutch locks in the 3rd gear and stays locked through next upshifts. I don’t recall getting it to lock in other gears.

this locking is supposed to be smooth like slipping the clutch on a manual transmission. However, sometimes I would feel it locking violently with a cluck Under hard acceleration when 3rd gear is selected manually.

try to shift manually and lock the transmission in the third gear, accelerate slowly and it should have very slow clutch engagement. Then do the same thing but accelerate harder and see if that makes a difference.

mhExped

Reaction score
Old thread, I know. But, in case it's of use to anyone or anyone can explain why...Ever since I had the work done as noted in "Active Park Assist Disabled" thread for seemingly unrelated issue, the shifting is back to being smooth again.

rob4092xx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the same issue but to a much lesser degree. No clunking sound, just a bump in shifting some times.

jmiller

Reaction score
^^^Sounds like what mine did when a snap ring in the transmission came off. They rebuilt mine
This is exactly what took them 3 weeks to figure out when I took it in. After they supposedly fixed this issue at 9k miles my Expedition is back in the shop as we speak because something popped while driving this past weekend and transmission fluid started leaking all over the place. Had to get ford to tow this POS back to their location and we are now 4 days out and they still don't know whats wrong. Currently in the process of getting estimates to off load this thing before the it costs me a fortune. Kills me I've put 2gs into tires and powder coating wheels only to dump it.

PXL_20201205_212604686.jpg

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Lord this is no bueno, so sorry for the issues. Hope this isn't another big issue as I know mine has done it maybe twice, but I generally chalk it up to something many trannies do. Since this rig and some of the GMs share the same tranny, has anyone seen similar biasues there.

myahr21

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed a subtle hollow sounding transmission clunk when the Expy shifts into and out of 3rd gear? Also some times can be heard on the 6th to 7th gear shift or shifting from Drive to Reverse.

Yes! same issue. It happens most frequently when driving locally around our neighborhood. Clunk noise occurs between 15 - 10mph after a downshift from 4th to 3rd with moderate braking (coming to a stop at a stop sign). Ford replaced the valve body at 3,000 miles and that reduced the occurrence...but the issue has re-appeared and can be reproduced quite easily. I am going to have them check the drive shaft for a slip/stick issue next time it is in for service. Stats on my expedition are below. For those having this issue, do you have a 4x4, FX4, or MAX version?

2020 Expedition MAX
4x4 w/heavy tow package
FX4

OP
OP
hellohithere

hellohithere

Reaction score
Yes! same issue. It happens most frequently when driving locally around our neighborhood. Clunk noise occurs between 15 - 10mph after a downshift from 4th to 3rd with moderate braking (coming to a stop at a stop sign). Ford replaced the valve body at 3,000 miles and that reduced the occurrence...but the issue has re-appeared and can be reproduced quite easily. I am going to have them check the drive shaft for a slip/stick issue next time it is in for service. Stats on my expedition are below. For those having this issue, do you have a 4x4, FX4, or MAX version?

2020 Expedition MAX
4x4 w/heavy tow package
FX4

Please let us know if the dealership is able to sort it out! I have just gotten used to hearing it consistently clunk for now.

2018 Platinum
RWD and tow package

myahr21

Reaction score
Please let us know if the dealership is able to sort it out! I have just gotten used to hearing it consistently clunk for now.

2018 Platinum
RWD and tow package

Yeah, I'll update once I have them take another look at it. On my expedition it's more about the noise, I am not feeling any harsh shifts. One additional thing worth noting...The issue hardly happens when I am in sport mode.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni