Transmission Coolers Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tekrsq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was debating on the delete kit, but I wasn't sure how cold is "too cold". I've read it should be good down to about 0F. It will get down to 0 degrees, and sometimes even dip slightly below. I don't know what that would do when you combine the normal cooling of the ambient wind as you drive. I would think that would have to be in the -40 range. Luckily, it doesn't happen often, but it can do it a couple of times a season.

Not to mention, there seems to be some debate about lubrication to the rear of the trans if you do get some type of restriction in the system.

tekrsq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I installed my a-pillar gauges, and mounted the trans temp sensor in the driver side test port. It showed between 2-5 degrees below what my SCT showed. The days are cooler now, but not cold, so I'm hoping once I change out the cooler bypass tube & valve I'll see some kind of difference in temps.

craig sargood

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I installed my a-pillar gauges, and mounted the trans temp sensor in the driver side test port. It showed between 2-5 degrees below what my SCT showed. The days are cooler now, but not cold, so I'm hoping once I change out the cooler bypass tube & valve I'll see some kind of difference in temps.
Pictures??

craig sargood

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recently installed a Hayden 679 in the grille as the second cooler. I have another with a fan down below the bumper. When I added the Hayden, it dropped my driving temps approximately 30-40 degrees. I stays around 145 on 95 degree day. Stopped temps rose to about 180. I’m thinking about adding another Hayden 679 cooler In the grille and maybe removing the one in the bumper. I have electric flex a lite fans and they pull a lot of air through the grille, possibly more Airflow than the cheap cooler with fan That’s installed. Also, did you need to remove grab bar to install pod??? I have a double pod I want to use for engine temp and psi gauge for compressor, but it looked like pod may cover the handle??? Kinda need that handle .......as I’m short and truck is tall.

tekrsq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I already have a Hayden 679 installed as well the stock cooler, new radiator, new water pump, new fan, new fan clutch. I've been considering adding a 2nd Hayden inline, and removing the stock cooler, but after talking with some local (and online) trans guys, I'm thinking I might have a bad (stuck) valve in the stock "cooler bypass hose". Apparently, the 4r100 is famous for that. I've ordered one, and will see what replacing that does before adding the 2nd Hayden.

I didn't have a grab handle on my driver side. Strange, since the passenger side has one. I see you've seen the pics posted on my other page, so I won't repost them here.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cfarnAK