Transmission & Electrical Issue - Flashing D, N, and Gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texasmug

Reaction score
We have a 2017 Ford Expedition EL with about 135K miles. A little back story before explainign my curent issues. It's my wife's daily driver and she recently started to notice a shutter in shifts between gears. Originally thought it may just be some misfires and changed spark plugs and boots as they had about 70K miles on them. Replacing those didn't help, but noticed while replacing that we had some transmission fluid in the coolant resovoir, so took it to my mechanic and had radiator and water pump replaced. Water pump had been showing signs of going bad for a bit, so took care of it all at one time. Mechanic was still feeling a slight shudder, as well, and he's not a transmission guy, so suggested I take it to a transmission shop to have them take a look.

Next day after having radiator and water pump replaced, my wife went to drive it to work and the gear lights (1-6) and D on the dash started flashing on and off randomly less than 10 miles from home and the transmission started jumping around gears. She limped it back home and took one of our other vehicles to work. That night I checked transmission fluid and it was low (which makes sense since there was some in coolant), so I added a quart. Drove it for a bit and it seemed to work fine, but was still flashing the gear lights and D on dash. Because of our work schedule, we let it sit for a week and finally got it to a transmission shop today. They were able to replicate the same issues with the dash lights flashing and it jumping around gears. Said it wasn't the transmission though. Fluid was good and transmission was good. They are convinced it's an electrical issue, but no codes were being thrown for them (other than a P0430 for catalytic converter, which I had gotten and cleared recently too), so they suggested I take it to dealership to have it reflashed.

On the drive home tonight from the transmission shop, I was able to finally replicate myself the jumpring around in gears. In addition, the flashing dash lights was not only D and 1-6, but at times, so was N. I was able to catch it on video. In addition, about 3-4 times the orange wrench and "See Manual" popped up on the dash and would go right back off. Check engine light never came on though. When I got it home I ran Forscan on it and got the following DTC Codes: P0706, P0707, and P1702. That's first time I've gotten those codes or any codes related to the transmission since all this started. The only code I had gotten recently was P0430 for the catalytic converter, but clearing it seems to keep it at bay for awhile and it's not showing up now.

Given these current codes all reference the Transmission Range Sensor is that something that can be easily replaced? I don't seem to find anything about it on these trucks online. I did replace the throttle body in this truck last year after having some of the well documented issues with the factory one in this truck. Could this be another bad throttle body? It's not exactly the same symptoms though, so I'm doubtful it is. I also doubtful (but certainly could be wrong) that reflashing the PCM as suggested by the transmission shop is the answer either, but do believe it's an elecrical issue of some sort, so why I'm coming here to seek any advice y'all may be able to give me.

Thanks in advanced for any assistance you can provide.

Kathy

Reaction score
Did you get a resolution to your problem? We are now having similar issues with our 2016. Thanks

OP
OP
T

texasmug

Reaction score
Hello Kathy, unfortunately and reluctantly, I ended up getting the transmission rebuilt. It's been just over 3 months now and it seems to have solved the problems we were having.