Transmission Failing timeline

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

8131full

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got almost 60k miles on my 2018. Cold shifts are getting worse. And now when warm, its shuddering on upshifts and downshifts. My question for those that have dealt with this before: do I take it to dealer now, or wait until it grenades? I have an extended warranty, so *should* be covered. My concern is if I take it in now, the dealer might just say 'no issues found'. Thanks!

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Take it in. It sounds like the bushing in the CDF clutch drum has shifted. When it shifts it blocks oil passages and will burn up the clutches in that drum. The failure will result in the symptoms you are describing. Mine began failing around 60k and I had it replaced at 63k.

Of course I’m also now dealing with a supposedly brand new transmission that is exhibiting the same symptoms and I’m working with the dealership to get it back in to be checked over…

OP
OP

8131full

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dealerships in town are saying at least 5 weeks before they can even start diag. I made an appt for middle of May. Is this trans going to last that long based on previous peoples experience? Does it fail all at once or slow downward spiral? TIA! Trying to plan out a strategy.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any potential diagnostic costs aside (since Ford won't pay if the issue isn't covered), the more documented trips to the dealer the better. If you take it in 3 times before 100k without repair, but it goes kaput at 101k and they refuse to fix it, you have strong legal grounds for small claims.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The dealer wont do nothing unless there are codes present as well.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The dealer wont do nothing unless there are codes present as well.
That is incorrect. They can diagnose based on feel when test driving. My trans had no stored codes but they were able to document the same shudders and hard shifts as I had written in when requesting service. From there they were given the go ahead to removed and open up on the bench. All of this was approved by ford and covered under the Powertrain warranty.

Your technician does not need codes to go through the diagnostics and send it up the chain for warranty coverage.

2Scoops

Reaction score
Has anyone had issues with their transmission not finding a gear on downshifts? We have a 2018 Limited and this week driving some back roads, I hit the throttle to pass a few cars in front of me. When I hit the accelerator to pass, the trans started clanking around hunting for a gear and never found it. The truck was basically in neutral so I had to back off the gas and fall back in line until it slid its way into gear. I haven't noticed issues with our trans at all until this point. Anyone else had this issue? I searched the site and didn't find anything on it.

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone had issues with their transmission not finding a gear on downshifts? We have a 2018 Limited and this week driving some back roads, I hit the throttle to pass a few cars in front of me. When I hit the accelerator to pass, the trans started clanking around hunting for a gear and never found it. The truck was basically in neutral so I had to back off the gas and fall back in line until it slid its way into gear. I haven't noticed issues with our trans at all until this point. Anyone else had this issue? I searched the site and didn't find anything on it.
I had a similar issue. See TSB 22-2145 (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10214870-0001.pdf).

OP
OP

8131full

Full Access Members
Reaction score
wow, so Ford ESP only covers 10 days of rental, and the dealership won't cover a loaner until the actually start diag'n the car. That means if my trans blows up next week, i'm on the hook for a rental for 5+ weeks at least until they even begin to look at it. That can't be right.