Transmission fluid change or flush

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GaryH

Reaction score
I'm coming up on 92k on my 03, so it's decision time for me. I'm thinking about using an evacuator pump through the fill tube and doing it myself. Couldn't hurt anything, right?

Brons2

Reaction score
@TobyU

Well, I remove my transmission oil pan when I do a drain and fill. I did modify it with a Dorman drain bolt, but that doesn't get all the fluid out, you still have to drop it to get all the fluid, but it definitely helps with making less of a mess. There is a magnet on the transmission side of the pan to catch debris from wear.

The first time I drained and filled after I bought it in 2020, there was quite a bit of black material on the magnet. I assume this is clutch material from the steels. I had to drop the pan anyway to fix the leaking PCM connector sleeve on the transmission.

When I changed it again last month with about 17K on the fluid, there was very, very little black material on the magnet. In my mind that defeats the argument of having more clutch pack slipping with the more frequent changes.

The other thing is that it had been 2.5 years since the last time I dropped it. The first drop was done within a few weeks of me buying it, due to the leak at the PCM connector. So really, according to the old school maintenance recommendation of 2 years/30K whichever comes first, it was due for a change. I can also observe that it downsifts much better than before it did the fluid change, although I used an aftermarket fluid this time, Maxlife multi-vehicle, so perhaps attributable to the different fluid. But anyway.

If it makes anyone feel better, I didn't change the filter this time. I did the first time.