Transmission fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
MrToby ... That post was so long I had to hire somebody to read it for me!

That engine probably blew because the guy before you ran it out of oil, not because you didn't do 3k oil changes. Right?

Heck! How do you think I feel? I had to go back and edit it three to four times. It's a mini novel.
No, I don't blame him. I think it was a combination of both. I'm sure he started a lot of the coking up the oil and the varnish and what I call peanut brittle in there by running at low all the time and plus it was a super stretch 36 foot long Excursion limo so those things idle all the time.
So I'd say It's a combination of both but I certainly didn't keep up on the oil changes like I should have.
But like I said, all in all I'm ahead of the game financially and was paid well for my extra 9 or 10 hours of Labor and doing the engine swap.
I will admit but I changed the oil properly after that.
I just pulled that engine and sold it a couple of months ago because I was parting out and junking that vehicle.

Plati

Reaction score
Heck! How do you think I feel? I had to go back and edit it three to four times. It's a mini novel.
No, I don't blame him. I think it was a combination of both. I'm sure he started a lot of the coking up the oil and the varnish and what I call peanut brittle in there by running at low all the time and plus it was a super stretch 36 foot long Excursion limo so those things idle all the time.
So I'd say It's a combination of both but I certainly didn't keep up on the oil changes like I should have.
But like I said, all in all I'm ahead of the game financially and was paid well for my extra 9 or 10 hours of Labor and doing the engine swap.
I will admit but I changed the oil properly after that.
I just pulled that engine and sold it a couple of months ago because I was parting out and junking that vehicle.
Did you have any trouble editing it? Every time I try to edit something , it ends up moving words around and deleting things. It's a major PITA. The Forums server must have a bug in the editing function.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you have any trouble editing it? Every time I try to edit something , it ends up moving words around and deleting things. It's a major PITA. The Forums server must have a bug in the editing function.
I do find different forms to work differently but this was not too bad. Most of my post are done on my phone and that's why I have typos as I'm using speech to text and it misunderstand sometimes.
I'm able to hit the edit Tab and it kind of opens up the bigger box and I can scroll around and do what I need to do and then hit save changes. It never moves anything around or messes everything up.

Plati

Reaction score
I do find different forms to work differently but this was not too bad. Most of my post are done on my phone and that's why I have typos as I'm using speech to text and it misunderstand sometimes.
I'm able to hit the edit Tab and it kind of opens up the bigger box and I can scroll around and do what I need to do and then hit save changes. It never moves anything around or messes everything up.
Thanks. Maybe it's my phone then. If nobody else is reporting that problem.

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lots of good info here and probably at least a couple hundred years of combined experience if we all counted.

Aside from the financial cost (and the time needed); is there really any harm in changing fluids and things? I mean sure, you could argue that you risk stripping a fill bolt or something, but in general, changing your fluids according to makuloco isn't going to hurt anything.

However, I'm a self admitted over-maintainer. It gives me peace of mind and while there are costs associated with it, I just figure it as the cost of doing business for owning a car.

One of the very first life lessons I was taught....."It's pay me now or pay me later; either way, you're going to pay."

Truth be told, alot of the maintenance I do (fluids/filters/brakes etc.) simply because I just enjoy doing it. It feels good to know it was done and done correctly. I unashamedly admit I have a love affair with any vehicle I own though...so take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lots of good info here and probably at least a couple hundred years of combined experience if we all counted.

Aside from the financial cost (and the time needed); is there really any harm in changing fluids and things? I mean sure, you could argue that you risk stripping a fill bolt or something, but in general, changing your fluids according to makuloco isn't going to hurt anything.

However, I'm a self admitted over-maintainer. It gives me peace of mind and while there are costs associated with it, I just figure it as the cost of doing business for owning a car.

One of the very first life lessons I was taught....."It's pay me now or pay me later; either way, you're going to pay."

Truth be told, alot of the maintenance I do (fluids/filters/brakes etc.) simply because I just enjoy doing it. It feels good to know it was done and done correctly. I unashamedly admit I have a love affair with any vehicle I own though...so take it with a grain of salt.

Rarely would there ever be an issue with over changing fluids.
Have to balance it with wearing out those drain plugs etc LOL but you could have 100 fresh oil go fed in the top and drain out the bottom (in theory) to have new oil all the time and it would not harm anything.
You would probably get the most protection and least amount of wear or scarring. After break in (and that's debatable now) I don't think you need any old or seasoned oil.

Still, a person who only does 3000-3500 mile changes could get just as many miles out of engine as you could. Most failures are not oil quality related.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Toby can I get a discount on your autobiography having read that? The apple I was eating turned brown.
I was on my second donut just speaking it all to my phone.

Then I had to go back and read it. I took 5 minutes. Then I had to edit it three times. You guys are a lot of work! Lol

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just had the HD auxiliary tranny cooler installed by a mechanic. 65,000 miles on the vehicle and when we bought it there were about 37,000. In the past, I pulled a 3,500 lb trailer up steep grades during the summer and watched the tranny temp hit 238 degrees! Mechanic said the transmission fluid is black and in need of being replaced. The beast takes 13 quarts of Mercon LV at $6 each.
If I could find a video that tells me how to check the fluid level and what am I to do about the tranny being pressurized then I’d do it myself. So far the videos only talk about older transmissions with dipsticks.
*Apparently I didn't search the service manual (10,864 pages) by "dipstick" or I'd have found it. It is attached to the transmission drain/bolt. My bad - sorry.

It seems like most owners of Expeditions pay a mechanic. I’d rather save myself the extra $150 it’ll cost in labor. I'll do a bit more research.

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
What year? Have you searched this Forum? What do you mean pressurized?

I pretty sure there are posts on here about buying a dipstick and how to check level and I think the only way to drain is to drop pan other than sucking it out through fill hole. Search the Forum or somebody on here can advise.

I've seen lots of posts on temp also and there were people who thought it was too hot but others said naaa the temp they said was ok. I dunno bout nuthin other than what the others say