Transmission Jerking from Drive to Park, and jerk on up shift 2to3gear and 7to8 gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pang-expy20

Reaction score
In October of 2022, We bought a Used 2020 Ford Expedition MAX with about 60,000 miles on it and now the car jerks VIOLENTLY when shifting from Drive to Park, (Even Park to Drive "at times") It also jerks on the upshift from 2nd to 3rd and from 7th to 8th. AND at times on the down shift you can feel a subtle jerk. My wife claims that there are days where it does not happen at all, then there are days where its BAD. Im thinking when the engine is cold it does it more but I dont know. Has anyone else been having this issue? After just buying this 3-4 months ago I do not want to have to worry about a new transmission.

Last edited:

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd start by checking the trans fluid level. Could be a leak and its low which could cause all kinds of problems. There is a small dipstick on the pass side of the trans case that you check when fully hot but you can only access it from under the vehicle.

OP
OP
P

pang-expy20

Reaction score
I'd start by checking the trans fluid level. Could be a leak and its low which could cause all kinds of problems. There is a small dipstick on the pass side of the trans case that you check when fully hot but you can only access it from under the vehicle.
She just had all her fluids checked about a few weeks ago on her oil change and tire rotation.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In October of 2021, We bought a Used 2020 Ford Expedition MAX with about 40,000 miles on it and now the car jerks VIOLENTLY when shifting from Drive to Park, (Even Park to Drive "at times") It also jerks on the upshift from 2nd to 3rd and from 7th to 8th. AND at times on the down shift you can feel a subtle jerk. My wife claims that there are days where it does not happen at all, then there are days where its BAD. Im thinking when the engine is cold it does it more but I dont know. Has anyone else been having this issue? After just buying this 3-4 months ago I do not want to have to worry about a new transmission.

October of 2021 is more than 1 year and 3 months ago.

The power train warranty is 60,000 miles or 5-years from date of in-service, whatever comes first.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It was 2022….a typo not expecting to still have the warranty.

If your mileage is below 60,000 miles - the power train warranty should be in effect. Read the warranty folder, or it can easily be looked-up online.

Good luck.

Expoxone

Reaction score
We had the same problem on ours. We got the fluid flushed on the transmission and it took about 2-3 weeks, but all of that nonsense has stopped. The transmission now shifts clean and no more jerking our of park and into drive. Also I don't know if this is related, but the rear differential had a leak, unknown to me, and when I changed the fluid on it and filled it up, it made a big difference in the way it shifts. I don't know if it has to do with dampening or something, but there may be something there...

VBreithaupt

Reaction score
pang-expy20- I don't know if you are in cold weather but when I start mine the RPM's are up until it warms up and drops below 1000 rpm. If I am in a hurry and have to go, mine will shift harder initially due to the higher start up RPM.

Wangle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
She just had all her fluids checked about a few weeks ago on her oil change and tire rotation.
You can almost with a certainty know that your transmission fluid level was NOT checked during a multi-point inspection. When there is no traditional dip stick all they do is a cursory inspection for leaks.

capt_tom

Reaction score
My 2020 was doing the same thing. There is a service bulletin on that. Ford did a software dump and reinstall on the transmission chip. That resolved the rough shifting so far.

Attachments

• MC-10210471-0001.pdf
    105.3 KB · Views: 63