Transmission Jerking from Drive to Park, and jerk on up shift 2to3gear and 7to8 gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cyndi28

Reaction score
In October of 2022, We bought a Used 2020 Ford Expedition MAX with about 60,000 miles on it and now the car jerks VIOLENTLY when shifting from Drive to Park, (Even Park to Drive "at times") It also jerks on the upshift from 2nd to 3rd and from 7th to 8th. AND at times on the down shift you can feel a subtle jerk. My wife claims that there are days where it does not happen at all, then there are days where its BAD. Im thinking when the engine is cold it does it more but I dont know. Has anyone else been having this issue? After just buying this 3-4 months ago I do not want to have to worry about a new transmission.

Cyndi28

Reaction score
In October of 2022, We bought a Used 2020 Ford Expedition MAX with about 60,000 miles on it and now the car jerks VIOLENTLY when shifting from Drive to Park, (Even Park to Drive "at times") It also jerks on the upshift from 2nd to 3rd and from 7th to 8th. AND at times on the down shift you can feel a subtle jerk. My wife claims that there are days where it does not happen at all, then there are days where its BAD. Im thinking when the engine is cold it does it more but I dont know. Has anyone else been having this issue? After just buying this 3-4 months ago I do not want to have to worry about a new transmission.
My 2020 Ford XLT does the same thing. Since it was a few month old. I’ve taken it to the dealership and they never find anything wrong with it.

pickles1107

Reaction score
Is there a TSB related to this issue? I have 2020 max limited and it shifts rough into and out of 3rd. Exactly at 17 mph.
We’ve had the adaptive relearn, brought it back as that didn’t seem to help much if any.
They referenced TSB 22-2139 and overhauled the mail control valve. Seemed to help a little bit it still clunks.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The C D F drum bushing shifted on my 2018 a few months ago. The dealer rebuilt the trans and installed a new drum under part number JL3Z-7H351-A. The bulletin has a new part number JL3Z-7H351-B. Anyone know what’s different with the B part number? I wonder if they updated this part since it seems to be a common problem.

Wangle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just completed a fluid change, filter change, and new PPE transmission fluid pan. (details in another post). My fluid level was between 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 quarts low from the factory! No leaks, and it has never been touched before. I have had one total clunky shift from 4-5 Right after the cam phaser software update. Other than that, I would say this transmission has performed flawlessly, except for high temperatures when towing. I am sure being over a quart low on fluid was not helping the temperature situation. I am hoping the updated thermostat, the aluminum transmission pan, and putting in the proper amount of fluid will help reduce the temperature.

Reaction score
I have the same issue
My 2022 timberline started showing this issues specially when downshifting from 4 to 3 or 5 to 3
And from P to R or D

Went to the dealer they said it needed software update
Nothing changed
Will take it again and see of it is a fluid level issue

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the same issue
My 2022 timberline started showing this issues specially when downshifting from 4 to 3 or 5 to 3
And from P to R or D

Went to the dealer they said it needed software update
Nothing changed
Will take it again and see of it is a fluid level issue

Exactly like my 24 xlt. Every time I tried to stop at a red light, I feel the jerky action from 5 to 3 (worse) or 4 to 3 (better than 5 to 3). I only had the P to R jerky on my inclined driveway for several times and I have not felt it anymore for at least a couple of weeks so far.

Reaction score
Exactly like my 24 xlt. Every time I tried to stop at a red light, I feel the jerky action from 5 to 3 (worse) or 4 to 3 (better than 5 to 3). I only had the P to R jerky on my inclined driveway for several times and I have not felt it anymore for at least a couple of weeks so far.
Try this:
I did a little experiment yesterday.
I kept it in manual (normal driving mode) and when applying break I down shifted from 4 to 3 and 5 to 3 just to see if the jerk was still there. Surprisingly the shift was very smooth on both cases.
I then changed the driving mode to sport and let the car down shift from 4 to 3 or 5-3 and again nothing happened.
The shift was super smooth.

Only eco and normal driving modes are causing the jerky down shift.

So I don’t know if I can conclude the problem to be in software issues more than a mechanical issues.

Wonder if that may help you.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni