Transmission leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Underdog66

Reaction score
About a month ago I noticed a very small spot on the garage floor under my Expedition. Upon further inspection the fluid was pink and appears to be transmission fluid. I have been keeping an eye on the transmission fluid level and it hasn't really moved. Its within limits. There is still a small amount of fluid gathering on the bell housing near the rubber plug. I removed that rubber plug and its bone dry inside. Any advice on where this is coming from and what to do would be appreciated.

I did by some transmission1204181635a.jpg 1204181629a.jpg 1204181634a.jpg 1204181635.jpg stop leak product which was recommended by Scotty Kilmer, BUT I am afraid to add it b/c I do not want to overfill the transmission.

OP
OP
Underdog66

Underdog66

Reaction score
The engine was a crate engine which the previous owner had installed by the dealership. He works with me but doesn't seem to know much about the truck. I don't think he's hiding anything, he just honestly doesn't remember.

The other strange thing is that I have been checking the trans fluid level every other time I drive it. The level never moves. Are there other components which use 'pink' fluid? I know sometimes people use trans fluid in the power steering pump, this is definitely dripping from that rubber cap underneath.

I did buy some leak seal which was HIGHLY recommended by Scotty Kilmer. However I hesitate putting it in b/c the fluid level is exactly where its supposed to be.

Thanks for the response.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
If it's leaking from the plug in the bell housing, you indeed have a transmission leak and there's nothing in there that can be resealed without dropping down the unit. Just make sure it's coming from inside the bell housing and not from somewhere else and dripping down.

I'd live with a minor leak rather than using sealer. Put a steel pan or a sheet of cardboard on the garage floor under it. Maybe someone else has had other experiences?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
An old trick if your not sure where your trans leak is, apply baby powder around suspect area, run it, tranny fluid will cling to powder. That way you can narrow it down. I'm with Trainmaster, never use a sealer, especially in a transmission. Nothing good ever comes from them. If it's the front seal, you or a shop will have to pull back trans to replace. All other leaks can be fixed with trans intact. Hopefully it's something like a tail shaft seal. Also check real careful around power steering pump and hoses, it too uses Mercon fluid.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree, never use sealer. The viscosity of your fluid needs to be what it is suppose to be, using a sealer would change that. That small amount of fluid is fairly irrelevant. I would bet daily it leaks less than a tablespoon.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For line leaks...fix the problem, but I have used TransX with no ill results in lots of car trans and power steering systems for slight seepage or rear seal leaks.