Transmission leaking only while parked?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey everyone...i've never experienced something like this...

I haven't driven my Expy in a few days (the gas prices are killin me)...and tonite I noticed a puddle of transmission fluid underneath and actually witnessed a few drops actively coming down when I crawled underneath. What on earth!? It was leaking from rear of transmission, looked like the seal on the pan or one of the bolts just above the pan. I checked, they're all tight.

This is the 3rd time it's suddenly leaked a puddle of fluid when parked for a few days. The last two times, which were at least 6 months ago, I've used brake cleaner to clean it all off, and it doesn't seem to leak when i'm driving it regularly. (Yes, I check it often to see if it is.)

Is there some kind of pressure build up when it sits parked for several days? This is so confusing to me.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Check the bulkhead connector on the transmission. Some years had problems with the o-rings in them leaking. This is the connector where the wires enter the transmission case, and a leak flows down around the pan edge and appears that the pan gasket is leaking. There was a service bulletin on these and some were recalled. Not a big job to fix. I believe the problem was on 2010s and a few other years but it can happen to any.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seconded on the bulkhead connector. Hardest part of the job is dropping the transmission pan, which is only "hard" because it's messy. Good time to replace the transmission screen since you'll be in there anyway.