Transmission Missed Shift/Slip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhiteFalcon

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Eddie Bauer and just had the transmission rebuilt. Everything has been working fine for about 2,500 miles but I have experienced two instances where the transmission feels like it missed third or fourth gear. The transmission will slip and then eventually find its gear. I was wondering if this could be related to the gear selector module or its wiring harness. Has anyone ever had an issue with either of these causing intermittent mis-shifts? I no check engine light or codes thrown.

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is it actually a Slip = it is in gear, engine increases revs with little forward drive/thrust. Take back to Trans Rebuilder, valve body or gear solenoid not functioning correctly.
Or, is it a false Neutral, allowing the engine to increase Revs, but No forward drive/thrust? = Trans Software. My 2010 EL did this once a year for 11 years. Ford would re-flesh the trans, and it would go away for another year.

OP
OP
WhiteFalcon

WhiteFalcon

Reaction score
I would say that it is more of a slip. I do have some forward thrust when it happens. The solenoids were replaced during the rebuild. I guess it’s possible that I got a bad one out of the box.

OP
OP
WhiteFalcon

WhiteFalcon

Reaction score
I think I have found the cause and wanted to post so that it might help somebody in the future with a similar issue. To recap: I had my transmission rebuilt and was getting a weird random slip going into third gear. It would happen once and then not again for several weeks and then again several weeks later. No check engine light.

About a week ago, it happened again but much worse and actually caused to torque converter clutch to stay locked up while I was decelerating off the freeway. The truck was rumbling and acting completely possessed. Again, it started with a third gear slip and then no overdrive.

I inspected the transmission wiring harness and found no issues. But I did find that the left side O2 sensor wires had made contact with the exhaust pipe and partially melted. I separated the wires and wrapped them back up and have not had the issue since. I'm hoping this is the solution.

Donald Bell

Reaction score
I just recently started having the same problem happen but I can't go forward when I press the gas it just revs up. I let my foot of the gas and it take another moment or so then catches and goes forward

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze