Transmission overfill consequences? 4R100 on '01 EB 4x4, 5.4L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian Meek

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I'm hoping someone can shed light on a 1st Gen Expedition puzzle involving a previously-overfilled 4R100 transmission on a 2001 4x4 with the 5.4 V8. When I did a drain & fill, I miscalculated and overfilled it. My daughter was in a hurry to leave and took off before I realized that I may have put in too much MaxLife ATF... She noticed that the Expedition then "seemed sluggish" - like it took more throttle to get moving and up-to-speed, although it shifted fine through all the gears as normal. Gas mileage wasn't noticeably changed.

A few hundred miles and a few weeks later, I got the chance to check the ATF level and confirmed I had overfilled (and confirmed the "sluggish performance"). I drained out a couple quarts via the ATF cooler line and topped it off carefully so that the level checked out exactly right when up-to-temp. Unfortunately, the "sluggishness" persists! Oddly it seems to be running fine otherwise, no codes, it just doesn't roll like it used to.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Brian Meek

Reaction score
Could the Torque Converter have overfilled but not drained when the 4R100 overfill was fixed? I've been reading about the Brown Wire Mod and wondered if this issue could relate to A4WD.