Transmission Recommendations? 2004 Eddie Bauer 5.4L 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I am looking for a replacement transmission whereas I can pull the tranny, swap, and return the core. What are folks recommending? I tow a 21' ski boat, and on occasion a 14' utility trailer for hauling. I have heard of ATS Diesel Performance, but unfortunately they only offer Powerstroke. I am looking for performance and not your ordinary replacement transmission. Thank you for any and all recommendations!!

OP
OP
hyperLITEspeed
Reaction score
Hello ExplorerTom,

Thank you for the quick suggestion. I did check out Monster Transmission and I had my eye on a specific tranny. However, as awesome as their web presences appears, do you know or are you speaking from experience as to Monster Transmission's reputation and product? I was all excited to have found them online, but then I proceeded to seek user feedback and I am seeing a lot of recent negative feedback regarding product as well as customer service/warranty.

I noticed that the BBB, Better Business Bureau has a lot of complaints here in a google search:
https://www.google.com/search?q=mon...9j0j69i60l4.1347j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

OP
OP
hyperLITEspeed
Reaction score
Me too, and as much as the website appears to represent awesomeness, I am concerned with the negative feedback and thinking it is not worth the risk. Still looking at shops locally for tranny replacement. To bad ATS Diesel Performance does not offer the 5.4L.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Monster Transmission website looks great.
Physical location kind of a dump. 19370 Oliver Street, Brooksville FL.
I'd avoid like the plague and find a local guru.
ATS Diesel Performance reviews not too spectacular either.

Just curious why a tried & proven run of the mill OEM spec transmission won't work for you and what exactly are you expecting from a "performance" transmission?

OP
OP
hyperLITEspeed
Reaction score
I hear ya and looking at OEM as well. I have heard great things from ATS but that is a whole different product line no applicable here. I am not against OEM, but since I am in the market, i thought i would consider something more robust in a since of performance. OEM may suit me just fine for my needs. Looking at parts.ford.com (https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/transmission/reman-transmissions) and their transmissions are re-manufactured. I guess that is okay?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A friend of mine I've spoken of here had a built up Chevy 383 Stroker motor built by a famous engine builder in Tennessee. They acted all nice, and returned his phone calls, in the beginning.They had more than a few bad yelp reviews. Long story short, his motor blew within 2 months, parts used were not of the quality they talked of on their website. Bottom line, if a business seems sketchy by more than one individual on same issue, better to steer clear, and find another rebuilder.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
hyperLITEspeed
Reaction score
Thanks 1955moose! Reputation and word of mouth is everything, based upon experience. That is the kind of feedback i am seeking. So far, I leaning towards the Ford Parts OEM, about $2500 for the unit. But still looking at all options.