Transmission repair after warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wilde

Reaction score
I'm coming up on 90,000 trouble free miles and now my transmission is broke. According to the mechanic, it needs a couple clutches and apparently they're on a 5 month backorder. I can get a new tranny installed... for $5,200. The local best rated transmission shop doesn't know how to work on this transmission and won't take it on. Tomorrow I will start calling around, but does anyone have advice regarding getting work done on these transmissions outside of warranty? I'm in Southern California.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm coming up on 90,000 trouble free miles and now my transmission is broke. According to the mechanic, it needs a couple clutches and apparently they're on a 5 month backorder. I can get a new tranny installed... for $5,200. The local best rated transmission shop doesn't know how to work on this transmission and won't take it on. Tomorrow I will start calling around, but does anyone have advice regarding getting work done on these transmissions outside of warranty? I'm in Southern California.
That sucks. I'd check around, someone will rebuild yours that have the oarts.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey, why do you think clutches are bad?? Is it slipping? Or have erratic shifting? It may be valve body issues.

The complete Ford overhaul kit is on back order, but you can still find some McLeod performance rebuild kits around the internet.

Another main issue with these is that one of the bushings (CDF drum) slides and blocks oil passages which prevents clutch engagement and causes issues.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With that much mileage, best bet would be to buy a whole unit from Ford and it would then get all the updates like the valve body and torque converter. See below at the Ford.Parts website. Complete transmission with a warranty and all updated parts is usually cheaper than getting one rebuilt and just trade in the old one as a core.

1663652787297.png

Bmac1955

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would still check with Jasper. Not sure if their warranty is for this particular Trans unit although if it is they offer a 3 year warranty or 100k. Would seem to be a more plausible alternative if this would be the case. Being the case, waiting for a Ford Trans would seem pointless seeing all are going into the production line models.

Thomas Hardesty

Reaction score
Hey, why do you think clutches are bad?? Is it slipping? Or have erratic shifting? It may be valve body issues.

The complete Ford overhaul kit is on back order, but you can still find some McLeod performance rebuild kits around the internet.

Another main issue with these is that one of the bushings (CDF drum) slides and blocks oil passages which prevents clutch engagement and causes issues.
If the tranny shows no signs, change the tranny filter and fluid 1st! Many times have I improved the performance, or even cured the problem. My 2019 has 130K miles on it. I have changed the filter & fluid twice, and changed the fluid at least 4 times. Only thing I get is a bit of clunk between 6-7 gear . This is usually in traffic stop n go slow. My advice would be to get the new one, or a swap out if u feel the tranny is bad?

llhoneymoons

Reaction score
First, stay away from Jasper.

Either buy a dealer unit, 3 year/100 or unlimited miles, I forget right now. Have the dealer or reputable transmission shop perform the install. Shops that don't R&R these regularly should not be used.

Or, find someone who has a reputable builder, I have one in my shop, but it's 3,000 miles away.

These can be rebuilt, plenty of reputable aftermarket parts available from Transtar, Precision, or others. Also, there is no such thing as a partial rebuild. You don't spend all of that time removing it, taking it apart, and only change a few parts, you change every soft part and any hard parts that show damage.

And, stay away from torque converters from TC Converters, at least for now. They seem to be having some issues with their clutch supplier.

Make sure they replace the valve body as well. Replacing the valve body or buying a dealer unit will both require reprogramming.

I hope this helps.