Transmission slow to up-shift when engine cold?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HansS

Reaction score
I called Ford Customer Support this afternoon and it looks like they may be willing to help pay some of the cost for the new transmission. Waiting for Laacy (Ford Customer Support) to work her magic and get back to me.

If you are going to go this route make sure you take it to the dealer first and get the diagnosis that the transmission needs to be replaced. In my case, Laacy reached out to the dealership I was working with.

Ford Customer Support -
(800) 392-3673

Last edited:

HansS

Reaction score
Mine started doing this the next winter after we bought it. It arrived at the end of the winter and was fine until cold weather came back. I think it had like 5k miles when it started hammering from 3 to 4 and again going into 6th.

I posted in here and nobody seemed to have anything like that happening back then, about two years ago. I called the dealer and they said it’d be hard for them to speculate and there were no software updates that applied.

id read on here about the can of worms that is a tear down. I decided to just let sleeping dogs lie for now and bank in the extended ford warranty covering it if necessary at some point. I’m up to right at 20k miles now. Still does it, only first time through gears. I’ve only towed 2-3 times and the first time was well past the 1k break in period.
You may want to take it in and at least make sure the transmission fluid is not low. I have seen posts from others who said it was low from the factory.