transmission temp got to 300 degrees, is that hot enough to where it needs a rebuild/replace transmission?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I checked up and down the Service manual and it has no talk about external pressure tests like older transmissions. Basically how it functions and what clutches are used per gear. Quick question - did the outside shop for sure program the new valve body to the transmission control unit? A sticker comes with the new valve body with the solenoid and sensor strategy that tells the TCM how to work with it. It causes very weird problems if not programmed correctly. After the valve body is installed, the new sticker is placed on the side of the trans on top of the old one.

OP
OP
I

igokom10

Reaction score
I checked up and down the Service manual and it has no talk about external pressure tests like older transmissions. Basically how it functions and what clutches are used per gear. Quick question - did the outside shop for sure program the new valve body to the transmission control unit? A sticker comes with the new valve body with the solenoid and sensor strategy that tells the TCM how to work with it. It causes very weird problems if not programmed correctly. After the valve body is installed, the new sticker is placed on the side of the trans on top of the old one.
Appreciate the thorough research.
As far as the shop programming the new valve body, I am just taking his word for it. They are highly recommended (30 years in business.) 4.9 google rating (100 reviews), and he stated he has done multiple valve bodies in 10r80s.
Also after picking it up it drove much much better than before, for about 100 miles…

But I heard back from him today. They got the tranny out and found some damage. CDF drum bushings, damaged. Damaged piston and a damaged clutch plate. So it’s getting a rebuild. All in it should be under $4k.. and a warranty. I’m really hoping this fix it, I just want the damn thing to work.

First thing I’m doing when getting it back is changing the thermostat to a 160 degree and a transmission tune. Hopefully it will extend the trannys life.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just got the damn thing! Love everything about it, maybe I’m just wishful thinking it can get better. They can’t all be crap, can they?.
This is why I don't buy newer vehicles or ones with 10 speed transmissions. I don't even want a 6-speed transmission!
Regardless, you were having problems before and obviously they didn't diagnose or fix the problem correctly or even find exactly what the problem was which is typical today because so many people don't really understand these things completely like some components were understood in the past.
So they basically just replaced Parts hoping for the best and keep going until they get it right.
In this case, you very well may need the entire transmission removed and gone through and rebuilt or swapped out with a remanufactured unit to get you working if nobody knows exactly what the cause of that problem is and can address it easier.
I am kind of a fan of buying used or a salvage yard transmissions myself and swapping them because I'm a cheapskate and that's always the most cost-effective way for me to solve these problems except for that one time that I made friends with somebody at a transmission shop and pulled mine out and took it to them and picked it up two days later for a mere $250 or 275.

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No warranty
I had the option to buy one from the dealership I got it from but i passed up. Said I have 30 days if I change my mind, didn’t think I needed it. I’m not at 50 days from day of purchase. Just my luck.
That sucks. Good luck with this issue. What about the Lemon Law? Would that help you I. This situation?

BIGRED03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There may be a Ford service bulletin out if it a common issue? My 2018 would act up randomly before it got to operating temperature. I would not reuse fluid that got to that temp in the Army. I learned at 275 degrees the fluid was breaking down and was confirmed at the OAL or oil analysis lab.

Auto warranty is the one single exception to not buying extended warranties on other items.

NavigatorPro

Reaction score
I just found this post on Google. For coolinf system problems here is what you need to do to resolve.

#1. Check the active grille shutters. I disconnect mine for the warm months over 60 degrees. Must be disconnected while the vehicle is on, AC on which will open the shutters wide open. Do not disconnect with shutters closed.

#2. MAIN part: The thermostat should be replaced with most current Motorcraft thermostat. The thermostat was redesigned as the old thermostat was sticking closed. Get it off of Rockauto. If you have old thermostat which came with truck replace it now!

#3. Secondary part: a) spark plugs/coils...only use Motorcraft most current b) engine cover...remove and set aside c) airfilter...only use Motorcraft d) radiator reservoir pressure cap.

From reading this thread either your active grille shutters are stuck closed OR its the thermostat. Im guessing its the thermostat. Ford quietly redesigned it in 2022. It will solve all cooling problems.

MattG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just found this post on Google. For coolinf system problems here is what you need to do to resolve.

#1. Check the active grille shutters. I disconnect mine for the warm months over 60 degrees. Must be disconnected while the vehicle is on, AC on which will open the shutters wide open. Do not disconnect with shutters closed.

#2. MAIN part: The thermostat should be replaced with most current Motorcraft thermostat. The thermostat was redesigned as the old thermostat was sticking closed. Get it off of Rockauto. If you have old thermostat which came with truck replace it now!

#3. Secondary part: a) spark plugs/coils...only use Motorcraft most current b) engine cover...remove and set aside c) airfilter...only use Motorcraft d) radiator reservoir pressure cap.

From reading this thread either your active grille shutters are stuck closed OR its the thermostat. Im guessing its the thermostat. Ford quietly redesigned it in 2022. It will solve all cooling problems.
I just went through an issue with the active grille shutters on my '22, it failed and threw a power code, having me believe it was the alternator when turned out to be the grille shutter solenoid. On the same circuit.

NavigatorPro

Reaction score
I just went through an issue with the active grille shutters on my '22, it failed and threw a power code, having me believe it was the alternator when turned out to be the grille shutter solenoid. On the same circuit.
The shutters save 0.5% in gas and only serve to #1) help the car warmup in winter and #2) save 0.5% gas. I would disconnect them while they are wide open.

NavigatorPro

Reaction score
The other thing in this post I wanted to point out is it was a mistake to take it to a transmission shop. Its best to go to a dealership and pay the diagnostic fee for a real diagnosis. The 10 speed is still fairly new and its best for the dealership service department to diagnose problems with it.

Its also best if the dealership does the work because they warranty it unlike independent shops.

Brons2

Reaction score
The other thing in this post I wanted to point out is it was a mistake to take it to a transmission shop. Its best to go to a dealership and pay the diagnostic fee for a real diagnosis. The 10 speed is still fairly new and its best for the dealership service department to diagnose problems with it.

Its also best if the dealership does the work because they warranty it unlike independent shops.
The dealer's fix for most everything transmission related is throwing a reman at it. Yeah a Ford reman is going to have a 2/24 warranty but what about after that?

Nothing wrong with a good indy shop. You're more likely to get updated aftermarket parts that resolve OEM issues going through an indy shop. Besides, these 10 speeds have been out since 2017. They are not that new anymore.