Transmission Temps: How Hot is TOO Hot when towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thomas Warden

Reaction score
I kept a close eye on my Transmission Temperature while towing my camper up Fancy Gap VA. The outside temperature was in the Mid 70's. My Transmission went up to 215 degrees. The needle on the actual temp. gauge stayed within the normal/middle range. So How Hot is Too Hot for your Transmission? I haven't added any external Transmission cooler to my 2019 XLT, and don't plan to unless I'm getting in dangerous territory.:driver:

rdlangston13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I kept a close eye on my Transmission Temperature while towing my camper up Fancy Gap VA. The outside temperature was in the Mid 70's. My Transmission went up to 215 degrees. The needle on the actual temp. gauge stayed within the normal/middle range. So How Hot is Too Hot for your Transmission? I haven't added any external Transmission cooler to my 2019 XLT, and don't plan to unless I'm getting in dangerous territory.:driver:

So I have found that the 10 spd gets hotter than the old 6 speed. We have a 2015 expedition with the Ecoboost and 6 speed and pulling out boat (about 7000 lbs) it never got over 207 and that was in an extreme scenario. I have a 2018 F150 and pulling the same boat in not as extreme terrain I have 220.

When the 10 spd came out they moved away from an air to liquid trans cooler to a liquid to liquid one that uses engine coolant to cool the transmission. I think this leads to hotter temperatures but I think it’s by design. Warmer stuff usually runs more efficiently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I have found that the 10 spd gets hotter than the old 6 speed. We have a 2015 expedition with the Ecoboost and 6 speed and pulling out boat (about 7000 lbs) it never got over 207 and that was in an extreme scenario. I have a 2018 F150 and pulling the same boat in not as extreme terrain I have 220.

When the 10 spd came out they moved away from an air to liquid trans cooler to a liquid to liquid one that uses engine coolant to cool the transmission. I think this leads to hotter temperatures but I think it’s by design. Warmer stuff usually runs more efficiently.

Could also be as simple as more moving parts = more friction which = more heat???

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've seen the temp on my old 2012 F150 hit 130+ without any warnings and the guage was just starting to creep up so I pulled over and let it idle and cool down before continuing, but this was in an extreme condition. My 17 expy in the same scenario with same load hit 208 or 210 before reaching the summit, granted the ecoboost doesn't work as hard as the 5.0 to tug a trailer up a mountain. I'd say as long as you don't exceed 215 for more than a few minutes you're safe. Even the 6speed used fluid to fluid cooling in addition to the dedicated transmission cooler. Are you certain there is no dedicated transmission cooler on yours? The F150s with the 10 speed have them...

rdlangston13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've seen the temp on my old 2012 F150 hit 130+ without any warnings and the guage was just starting to creep up so I pulled over and let it idle and cool down before continuing, but this was in an extreme condition. My 17 expy in the same scenario with same load hit 208 or 210 before reaching the summit, granted the ecoboost doesn't work as hard as the 5.0 to tug a trailer up a mountain. I'd say as long as you don't exceed 215 for more than a few minutes you're safe. Even the 6speed used fluid to fluid cooling in addition to the dedicated transmission cooler. Are you certain there is no dedicated transmission cooler on yours? The F150s with the 10 speed have them...

No 10 spd F150s 2018 or newer have a dedicated air to liquid transmission cooler. They are all liquid to liquid heat exchangers mounted on the bottom of the transmission. The only way to get an air to liquid transmission cooler on a newer F150 is to get the standard NA v6 with the 6 spd

Chip S

Reaction score
I am getting 217-220 in relatively flat drives going 62MPH. That seems high to me. But not sure on my 2020 Exp with HD Tow package?

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am getting 217-220 in relatively flat drives going 62MPH. That seems high to me. But not sure on my 2020 Exp with HD Tow package?
Totally normal. The 10 speed transmissions run hotter than other transmissions, but that seems to be by design...