Travel Trailer for full time rv living

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danienew214

Reaction score
I have a 2015 Expy EL Limited. I am interested in Keystone Passport 3352BH. Is this too heavy for the expy to tow with 2 dog 4 kids, hubby and myself? We are going to live in this full time and this floor plan is the best with giving up the added need for washer dryer. Thank you all in advance.

bman440440

Reaction score
IMO I think that is to big of a trailer for your expy... most of the time people far exceed the load capacity of the trailer with everything packed onboard... it is just rated for a little over 1600 lbs of cargo and that is not very much... that with the weight of the trailer puts you at the towing cap of the expy and not with it overloaded at all and a WD hitch... and also being a full time situation that is a lot to ask for from the expy... again that's my 2c take it for what you want :happy160:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Expy EL Limited. I am interested in Keystone Passport 3352BH. Is this too heavy for the expy to tow with 2 dog 4 kids, hubby and myself? We are going to live in this full time and this floor plan is the best with giving up the added need for washer dryer. Thank you all in advance.

In 2015, the heavy duty tow package was standard on the Limited models (standard length and EL).

Can’t answer your question though.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Likely too heavy. The 4th gens have more payload than our 3rd gens. You'll want to be no more than 7k wet (fully loaded). So likely around 5,500 to 6,000 dry (unloaded). Try renting to get a feel for towing.

OP
OP
D

danienew214

Reaction score
IMO I think that is to big of a trailer for your expy... most of the time people far exceed the load capacity of the trailer with everything packed onboard... it is just rated for a little over 1600 lbs of cargo and that is not very much... that with the weight of the trailer puts you at the towing cap of the expy and not with it overloaded at all and a WD hitch... and also being a full time situation that is a lot to ask for from the expy... again that's my 2c take it for what you want :happy160:

OP
OP
D

danienew214

Reaction score
So even with wd hutch this trailer would be too heavy? Any recommendations on a trailer suitable for a family our size?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In 2015, the heavy duty tow package was standard on the Limited models (standard length and EL).

Can’t answer your question though.

The dry weight of the trailer you posted is 7,665 pounds.

With cargo and people and dogs you listed, you would be above capacity for the 2015 Expedition Limited EL.

joelintheexpy

Reaction score
We are also considering full timing with 4 kids and have a 2015 Expy EL as well. We’ve landed on a 5th and 2 vehicles because of the weight issues. The quality campers that give everyone their own bed were too close on weight capacity. There are some quad bunk trailers with out the bunk slide that come in lighter (we currently have one) but it tends to get really small on rainy days.

CharlesP

Reaction score
Keep in mind, the closer you are to the max the worse all around performance would be. We have a Minnie Winnie 2201DS that is 5k dry and 7k fully loaded and a 2012 Expy. Limited with HD tow and a WD hitch. My wife and I plus 4 dogs.

Going across the Rockies the uphill performance was glacially slow (had to use the truck lane) -- going downhill we definitely stopped and let brakes and such cool down. Even going across the Appalachians uphill performance is less than stellar. In Florida where it's flat performance is fine and I could probably tow right to the max.

Our average trip mpg is 9-10 mpg towing at 65 mph.

IMHO, a dry weight of no more than 6500 lbs would be the absolute max if you plan to go anywhere. I also think, if you're going to do this full time, you need to seriously consider a pickup and a 5th wheel rather than the Expy and a travel trailer. Just my thoughts, but I have logged over 20k miles with this set up.