Travel Trailer for full time rv living

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
True, but the trailer brakes do help. It's not much different from bad weather, grades, low tread, etc. You have to leave a bigger buffer. Of course, emergencies do happen, but there's not really a ton you can do about that except for watching for expecting the worse from people, like jackasses that jump in front with no room.

Someone else with a similar limitation posted on FB that they settled on this one: 2022 Forest River Wildwood FSX Midwest 178BHSK.
Or jackasses that tow at the max or overweight.

OP
OP
D

danienew214

Reaction score
A lot of good feedback and sound advice in this thread regarding towing capacity. I won't rehash that as I largely agree with the general concurrence.

I will instead comment on the experience of living in a 30 ft or less trailer as a teenager with an older sister and 2 parents plus 2 dogs. In short, I highly do not recommend it. It was a miserable experience for 4 people and 2 dogs long term. Not enough space, definitely not enough privacy, and not enough infrastructure to support long term living in a >30ft trailer. This was in 3 different trailers of different layouts/configurations with and without sliders. The longest trailer was 33' if I recall, all bumper/hitch pull.

Shower/bathroom was super crowded, even when empty due to all the personal hygiene needs stored there. Food storage was always an issue, even when doing minimalist shopping each day. Privacy was near non-existent and schedules had to be made in order to be away from the trailer for certain "activities" by parents. No matter how discrete they tried to be, it was always painfully obvious. Family activities were extremely challenging and always required at least 1 person to be uncomfortable, this was done via rotation but still put a damper on activities. I have a long list of other negatives but I think what I posted above is sufficient unless you want to know more.

for 4 kids, 2 adults, and 2 dogs, a 5th wheel of comparable length to a 30 ft travel trailer will give you a lot more space to rectify the above major challenges that made it a miserable experience and that's just living. A pick up with extended passenger quarters would be advisable for a family of your size with the added ability of a 5th wheel. 6 door trucks are more common than people realize. This approach probably widens the necessary budget significantly. Living in a RV with a full sized family is a lot more expensive and a more challenging to do so and do it well enough that the family is not miserable. Whatever you decide, good luck and keep us posted!
Thank you for your feedback. I am concerned about this as well being I have one teen and I'm sorry your experience wasn't as eventful as your parents imagined. We are going to get a fifth wheel eventually just waiting for other things to get in order. Also if we get this trailer sooner than later we could get some kinks out the way. We also don't see us doing this longer than a year for now. But great things for me the parent to consider with children as well! Will keep you all posted!