Travel Trailer Recommendations.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
We have a 2020 Limited with max tow and just bought a GD Imagine 2800BH. Has towed it very easily. The UVW is 6386 lbs (dry weight) and the GVWR is 7995 lbs. So even fully loaded we have 1300-ish lbs before we hit the limit and I doubt we will ever travel with the tanks full. The trailer has tons of storage and seems to be well made for a travel trailer. We also looked at the 2400BH but loved the extra space of the 2800.

Also, I love Ford's Pro Backup Assist thing. Makes it super easy to back the trailer up.
We call the Expedition Betty White and the trailer is now named Blanche.

View media item 7317

Last edited:

Dolph Santorine

Reaction score
The most important thing is the hitch. I’ve towed a 9,000 lb trailer with no problems using a Hensley Arrow hitch. Remember, the tow ratings are variable and capricious based on US or Canada. Have good brakes and tires. Factory brake controller is a must. You have plenty of vehicle for most 34-36 foot trailers.

rvcrzyjeff

Reaction score
There are many formulas and rules of thumb, based on a little more science then "it tows good" xx length. For instance, one is wheel base of the vehicle, starting at 114" equals a 20' trailer measured tongue to bumper, add 4" wheel base for each additional foot of trailer. We are talking travel trailers here, not boat trailers. Standard expy wheel base that's around 22', a max would be 24'. Now, do people exceed those, all day long, is it safe, depends. I don't why a 10% fudge factor wouldn't work. Another number to remain in the green, is stay under your maximum tow weight by 20%, so for round numbers, at #9,000 tow weight, #7,800 fully loaded. You can not believe one word of manufacturer weights published in brochures, those are mostly marketing numbers. Go look at the sticker on the drivers side of the trailer, it will tell you it's gross weight and the trailers true weight that's going empty out the assembly door, subtract to get your carrying weight, you might be surprised to see how low it is, anywhere from #750 to #1000, goes fast. That total weight, which should include some fresh water so you can use the bathroom while traveling, should remain at 20% below our maximum towing weight. Now take a look at tongue weight, for safe towing the TW should be between 10-15% of the trailer total weight. The TW can be effected by the trailer configuration, axels further back from the tongue will have heavier tongue weights. This TW comes off your payload max. Look at your drivers side door jamb, you can find your payload. This usually is in excess of a #150 driver and full tank of fuel. We have a '19 expy limited max, with HD tow and 4x4. Our payload is a respectable #1,686, higher then some F150s. I've seen some XLTs over #1,800. Subtract all the additional weight going into the expy, what's left has to take not only the TW, but also the heavy weight of the weight distribution hitch on the tongue, another #50+. Find a trailer within these guidelines, loaded properly and you should be safe towing and stopping. Once you find your weights, based on numbers above, then go to the forums of those trailers you like, and you will find true tongue weights and carrying weights. Once armed with true numbers, go look at them, sit in them, imagine being in them on a rainy day, then it will start to come together. I would strongly recommend dual axels on your trailer with so many "littles" depending on you not being stranded on the side of the road, fortunately most trailers in your needs/weight level will be tandem. Another advantage to the smaller trailers are you can find sites that are readily available at 24' and less in the national and state parks. Remember, needs vs wants, helps tone it down in a travel trailer with an expy as the tow vehicle. If you ask many adults, you will be surprised how many have happy family camping days, not many recall last weeks soccer score. You have so many fantastic camping opportunities being in Colorado it's amazing, and the season is much longer then 2-3 months in the summer. HaPpY Rving, take your time, and as Nike says, "Just Do It"

rvcrzyjeff

Reaction score
Oh, agreed on the Hensley or pro pride style hitches comment above, my numbers are based on the standard weight distribution hitches.

Ed Fogle

Reaction score
Rent first? A good option. The experience will give you good insight on what you need and want. Plus planning a big trip right off the bat in a new trailer can lead to big problems. The RV forums are full of threads about the atrocious quality of new units straight from the factory. Many reports of having their new purchase in the shop for more time than out in the first year or two.

Solar prewired? Depends on how much solar you want. I don’t have first hand experience but have read that prewired models have pretty minimal wire gauge. Just enough for one small solar panel. Might just be enough to maintain the battery while in storage.

Extended warranty. They can be very expensive. I normally do not buy them on any product but did on the 7 year old RV I bought 8 years ago. The list price of the warranty was over $5k but the dealer offered it for about $3k so I took it. See above about new TT quality.

Weight? Look at your Expy payload closely. You’re looking at 700-800# tongue weight that has to be subtracted from your payload. Also, a weight distribution hitch is a must.

cullinan18

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2017 Expy and tow a 2018 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH. The Expy tows and stops just fine, but payload is the biggest challenge. I have just under 1,400#s of payload, so a real world tongue weight of ~850#s, plus hitch, family of 4 + dog, and weight could be an issue. Many people on the FB forums say they see 1,000# tongue weights with the 2800BH.

We love the 2400BH and I am glad we don't have the slightly longer and heavier 2800BH. Personal choice.

Marqui3

Reaction score
Ok here we go. I am a long time rv owner. I have owned both travel trailers and motorhomes, I also have a class 1 driver’s license, so I am no stranger to towing.
Frankly some of the advice I have seen here is frightening. You can not safely tow most of what you are looking at.
When towing a trailer the important number is your payload capacity. It is on the sticker on your door jamb.
In my case the payload capacity is 1554 lbs.
We own a Rockwood Ultra Lite that weighs between 7000 and 7200 lbs loaded. That puts my tongue weight at 850 lbs minimum for safe towing. (Tongue weight should be between 10 and 15 % of the trailer weight for safe towing or else you will have issues with sway). So that leaves me with 700 lbs of payload. To that, add the weight of your hitch, ( the weight of the weight distributing hitch is not part of the tongue weight) in my case the hitch weighs 100 lbs. So I am now left with 600 lbs of payload. My wife and I weight 375lbs. (Yes I should loose weight). That now leaves 225 lbs in payload capacity. Let’s allow about 100 lbs for tools and other odds and ends that I carry in the cargo area, and we are left with 125 lbs to spare.
So if we had our three kids(grown ups now) we could not tow this trailer safely. As it stands we are probably to close for comfort.
All this to say that the 9000lbs towing capacity is a myth, it does not exist other than on paper.

Our most recent trip was the Alaska highway and the Expedition performed beautifully. It did not meet a hill it did not like. I could make speed up any hill, and there are some steep hills in Alaska. The issue is not pulling power, the Expeditions have power to spare. The issue is weight, carrying and stopping that weight.

That being said we would like to downgrade to a smaller trailer but can’t find one with a floor plan that suits our needs like the one we now own.

For myself I would prefer a trailer that weighs in at less than 6000lbs loaded. That would put us in the 20 to 24 feet range.

Do your due diligence. Visit some rv website. There is good advice to be found there. But be aware, not everyone is an expert. ( I’m not saying I’m an expert, but I do have lots of experience).

Take care and safe travels.

Last edited:

ANDREW B PRICE

Reaction score
If I was recommending units the Wildwood x-lite 263BHXL is pretty nice a bit heavier and bit nicer is the Wildwood 26DBUD (my personal pick). The "Versa-Lounge" Wildwood uses is incredibly versatile for a family, it's available in both units. THe 10.7 cu.ft. fridge isn't bad either.

fothco

Reaction score
Hi - we are on our 4th RV - The Extended Warranty did help with H20 leak at front vertical edge seam ; but I used Jayco HQ to ensure repair was their dime . Jayco talks big but .. The Imagines do seem well built . Our 5.4 Expee Max carries the load l watch tongue weight ! Ruins tire very quickly if > 600lbs . Who builds Imagine ? Forest River did not stand by Warranty for leaks around windows . owners must re-do seals annually !! . But - R V Life is fine : so many Lakes , so many folks to meet , so many camp_- Fires etc . Thank You Lord.