Trying the Anderson WD Hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Soupflakes

Reaction score
Whelp. I bit the bullet. After much research I've decided to try tge Anderson WD Hitch. I have used a curt chain hanger style, and then an E2. I HATE the noise the e2 makes, and the brackets don't like to stay put (which I could fix by more permanently mounting, but I dont like the e2 and the noise, so I decided against that)

From what I've seen in my research, most people that USE the Anderson love it. Most people that are critical of it havent used it. The usual "looks weak" "I dont trust the chains" etc. So I figured I'd start this thread to keep everyone updated.

Tow vehicle is a 2020 XLT Max with HD tow package. Trailer is a 2020 dutchmen astoria 3203bh, weighs right at 9k with all of our stuff, including a generator on the back.

It tows great with the E2, but were coming from an F150, and the bed blocked a lot of the noise. Being an expedition, that freaking grinding is ungodly loud. So I'll let you all know how it works.

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My guess is that it won’t transfer enough tongue weight for something that heavy. I don’t own one of these but they have design elements I admire (horizontal weight distribution, integrated sway control) that are unique. Unfortunately I believe they can only transfer up to 30% of tongue weight which can work for a pickup but less so for an SUV.

OP
OP
S

Soupflakes

Reaction score
This is what I've heard, but reading more into it Anderson has a solution for this i beleive. I think you have to remove 2 links on the chain. So far, I havent really seen that from people that own it. Its more speculation.

Honestly looking at his weights that's pretty close to what mine sits at, and I use the e2, gave to crank my hitch WAY up, then use the tool to pry the bars up, and it weighs right around that. If you can get the front back to within 100 lbs 200 lbs of what it is empty you're doing good.

We'll see. Anderson assures me that with a tongue weight of 900 ish lbs it will easily distribute tge load, as its rated for 1400

We shall see. Worst case they claim a satisfaction guarantee so if it doesn't work return it maybe? I'll let you all know.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm curious to see how you like it. I have been eyeing them too. I have read with heavier weights the bushing at the ball wears out fast. Again, not sure if it is true or not, or just a few random issues that create hysteria. I have talked to a few people at camp grounds with them and they all love them, they were almost always smaller trailers though. I don't see them very often but try to chat the people up when I do see them. I have seen ProPride hitches making an appearance lately. Usually on expensive airstream trailers but I haven't talked to anyone that has one.

OP
OP
S

Soupflakes

Reaction score
Yes ive seen that. The guy made a **** headed decision, apologized, paid for the restoration, paid the fine. Admitted to making a stupid decision. You gonna hold every dumb decision against anyone forever? You've never done something stupid like this?

Im not excusing him for what he did, but chances are you own something with nike on it, and they have child labor overseas. Or if you own any forest river product its owned by Warren buffet and im sure hes a Saint.

I dont think thats a valid reason for not buying a hitch. But if you don't want to thats your prerogative.

OP
OP
S

Soupflakes

Reaction score
I'm curious to see how you like it. I have been eyeing them too. I have read with heavier weights the bushing at the ball wears out fast. Again, not sure if it is true or not, or just a few random issues that create hysteria. I have talked to a few people at camp grounds with them and they all love them, they were almost always smaller trailers though. I don't see them very often but try to chat the people up when I do see them. I have seen ProPride hitches making an appearance lately. Usually on expensive airstream trailers but I haven't talked to anyone that has one.
So from what I've heard the new model has that pretty much ironed out. My biggest concern is im not going to be able to get enough weight moved forward. I spoke with Warren at Anderson as well today about it, he said if you set it up and bottom the nut out on the threads, you can back it off and move to the next link on the clevice to kind of get another "bite" if that makes sense. He also said you want to have about a 1/4" of bulge on the red bushing when its loaded.

Last edited:

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unfortunately, about a 100,000 other people have defaced features in moab. Its pretty disgusting what people have done down there, I like to blame all the side x side riders for it as that is typically who I see doing it. Then I go in the mountains overlooking moab and thousands have been carving their names in the trees forever. And then all those darn freaking native americans who left their art work all over the rocks in Moab, we all go hiking and take pictures of that stuff but really they are just vandals just like everyone else! All sarcasm aside, I remember that being a big deal in the news for a bit, I didn't realize he was the anderson hitch guy. Frankly, at this point I am pretty sick of the whole cancel culture. We cancel someone from scratching their name in a rock but go ahead buying all sorts of **** from china...

zoey2015

Reaction score
So from what I've heard the new model has that pretty much ironed out. My biggest concern is im not going to be able to get enough weight moved forward. I spoke with Warren at Anderson as well today about it, he said if you set it up and bottom the nut out on the threads, you can back it off and move to the next link on the clevice to kind of get another "bite" if that makes sense. He also said you want to have about a 1/4" of bulge on the red bushing when its loaded.
any update on your experience with it? I'm considering getting one for my V-nosed enclosed motorcycle trailer with Gross weight 7000 pounds.
Thanks!

Knut

Reaction score
Don't know anything about the Anderson; however, for those looking, I use a BlueOx Sway Pro with 1400 lbs bars. Steady when towing and weight gets distributed as expected. Very quiet and don't have to unhook to back up.