TSB 22-2475 - 2018-2021 Navigator - Grinding, Growling, Clicking Noise, Inoperative Power Steering Column During Telescoping-Raking Operation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HazBeen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
TSB 22-2475 - 2018-2021 Navigator - Grinding, Growling, Clicking Noise, Inoperative Power Steering Column During Telescoping-Raking Operation

Issued: December 5, 2022

Model:

Lincoln
2018-2021 Navigator

Issue: Some 2018-2021 Navigator vehicles may exhibit a grinding, growling, or clicking noise or inoperative power steering column during telescoping/raking operation. This may be due to the steering column telescope or rake actuators. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure to replace the steering column actuators and reprogram the column and pedal memory module (BCMB).

Action: Follow the Service Procedure to correct the condition on vehicles that meet all of the following criteria:

• 2018-2021 Navigator
• Grinding, growling or clicking noise/inoperative power steering column during telescoping/raking operation

Parts

Service Part NumberQuantityDescriptionUnit of IssuePiece Quantity
FL3Z-3F840-D​
1​
Actuator Assembly
1​
1​
FL3Z-3F840-E​
1​
Actuator Assembly
1​
1​
W717218-S442​
1​
Upper Steering Column Shaft Bolt
1​
1​
W716538-S450B​
1​
Steering Column Mounting Nuts
4​
2​
W712250-S437​
2​
Steering Column Mounting Bolts
1​
2​
Quantity refers to the amount of the service part number required to repair the vehicle.

Unit of Issue refers to the number of individual pieces included in a service part number package.

Piece Quantity refers to the total number of individual pieces required to repair the vehicle.

Warranty Status: Eligible under provisions of New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW)/Service Part Warranty (SPW)/Special Service Part (SSP)/Extended Service Plan (ESP) coverage. Limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. NVLW/SPW/SSP/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

Labor Times

DescriptionOperation No.Time
2018-2021 Navigator: Replace The Steering Column Actuators And Reprogram The BCMB (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
222475A​
1.5 Hrs.​

Repair/Claim Coding

Causal Part:14B561
Condition Code:04

Service Procedure

1. Replace the steering column actuators. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 211-04 Steering Column Telescopic Motor and Tilt Motor.

2. Reprogram the BCMB using the latest software level of the Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS).

© 2022 Ford Motor Company

All rights reserved.

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supersede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

TSB 22-2475 document attached below:

Attachments

• TSB 22-2475 - 2018-2021 Navigator - Grinding, Growling, Clicking Noise, Inoperative Power Stee...pdf
    102.7 KB · Views: 7

josedirte4

Reaction score
I wish they had this very same TSB for Expeditions. I took mine in for this repair and they would not fix it since this TSB is for Navigators and mine does it randomly. Even though they’re literally the same vehicles with very minor tweaks.

Bmac1955

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with you on this repair for Navigators only. The components would be the same on Expedition models. Ford has deemed to make those models ( Navigator ) special for appeasement. Ridiculous assumption.

TX-EXPMAX

Reaction score
I wouldn't get too excited. I had this TSB performed on my '21 Navigator as they claimed this would fix the memory issue I was experiencing (would only recall the steering wheel memory position about half way to where it should be.). They did this TSB and it was good for about 3 weeks then back to the same problems.