Tune Question - Limited vs Platinum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well lots of opinions here
I have had extensive experience with recalibrated ECOBOOST 3.5L engines
Have had "ZERO" problems with them
Throttle response & transmission shifting "VASTLY" improved
I have owned 6 3.5L ECOBOOST Ford vehicles
2011 F150 3.5L ECOBOOST with Livernois calibrations 110,000 miles before trading it
2013 Taurus SHO with the performance package & Livernois calibrations 45,000 miles before trading it
2013 FLEX with 3.5L ECOBOOST with Livernois calibrations 52,000 miles before trading it
2016 Explorer Sport with 3.5L ECOBOOST with Livernois Calibrations 98,000 miles before trading it
2018 F150 with 30,000 miles 5* calibrated since new
2018 EXPY with 28,000 miles 5* calibrated since new
Once you have experienced the vastly improved drivability with a recalibration not sure why anyone would be satisfied without it:burnout:
Merry Christmas everyone

Garrett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 5* tuned Expy (93 octane, tow tune) has been fantastic. However, I recently had two occurrences of the engine going into limp mode.

my dealer checked it out and said they don’t see anything wrong with it.

OP
OP
L

Leon Nett

Reaction score
My 5* tuned Expy (93 octane, tow tune) has been fantastic. However, I recently had two occurrences of the engine going into limp mode.

my dealer checked it out and said they don’t see anything wrong with it.

What are you seeing for 0-60 times and your mpgs?

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, new member here, I tried searching and read a bunch of threads but didnt help my confusion.

I am considering an Expedition or Navigator and putting a tune on it. I know the Navigator engine is different like the Raptor. For the Expy though...if you have a limited and tune it vs a platinum with a tune...do you end up at the same 464HP with the 5 Star tune or does the Limited still come in lower since its starting from a lower oem power level?

Also, not much out there I could find for info on Navigator...assume the after tune numbers would be similar to the Raptor?
The Navigator is heavier by a considerable bit. The added HP doesn’t seem to fix the porky problem.

The 3.5 can be factory tuned many different ways out of the box by Ford. Its just an easy carrot to add to the list as to why you go for the more expensive trim.

Its a big machine even with 650hp it wont feel as fast as a smaller slower vehicle.

I’m a fan of sports cars and have zero interest making my Platinum faster. Mine is even paid off I own it. Just get the giant wagon you like. If you want a sports car get a sports car. The Expedition is not a sports car no matter how juiced up you make it.

And yes the Platinum is stupid quick but you don’t feel it and even at 400hp the 3.5 just loafs along that engine doesn’t run hard till you get the 700hp Mustang version.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I just read on a Mustang forum, Ford is flat, denying warranty on any 'modified vehicle'. If Ford engineers thought the 3.5l was capable of more power and be trouble free, you bet they come that way. I doubt the transmissions or single exhaust are capable of handling 600hp. The drive train is designed for max towing.

Last edited:

Mike1431

Reaction score
Well..

I have had tuned several of my trucks and cars over the years and luckily no issues. I have a 2010 GMC Sierra that's tuned and has 250k (original owner btw) and going not a single issue.

I just came out of a 2017 F150 SCrew Platinum 302A package. 4" lift, 35" tires and tuned. Original Tuned from MPT then, bought new tunes from 5*. It was in and out of the shop constantly ( non tuned issues) sunroof, rattles, dash, leather etc. Each time I put the truck back to stock and always asked for updates from them.

Prior to that's I had 2012 F150 KR similar set up.. no issues Gen 1 EB

Now I have a 19 Expedition FX4 202A package with 3/2 Level and running 33" MT tires. I bought new tunes from 5* (Great Guys btw) and have them loaded.

Holy sh*t it is night and day from my 17 F150. Put it in sport mode, and turn off the traction control, those MT soon 1 and break loose thru 3rd.

I have had the truck a month now, and I don't like the body roll, nor do I like the front end almost getting away from you when u put your foot in it. I do plan on switching to Bilstein 5100s and upgrading the front and rear sway bars. When I did this to my truck, it was perfect for me.

Tuning is a preference, and I prefer too. I have not had any issues with any of the tunes.. Im still on a bunch of F150 sites, most people blowing motors, rods, pistons are using the tunes of 1 particular company that I hear of. I have yet to hear of a single person or issue with 5* or their tunes.

So there is my .02 on 5* and tuning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amen.