Tuner and towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HawaiiFiveOh

Reaction score
Recently purchased our first travel trailer and am considering getting a tuner. It’s my wife’s vehicle, a 2016 XLT, so I’m not looking for a tuner to make it faster but will make a difference when towing. Anyone using one just for the towing benefits? Is it even worth it? Thanks

Jclark20

Reaction score
Thank you for asking, I have the same question. Also any other worth wild mods to help with towing.

Thank you

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Congrats on the camper purchase. I recommend using premium when towing, as per the manual. It does make a difference in performance and mpg. Also use the tow/haul mode. Is there some specific issue you're trying to resolve? Some tuners offer towing specific tunes. Maybe @LokiWolf can chime in. I don't run a tune because there isn't one for reliability yet, lol.

StephenOsborne1

Reaction score
I've used 5 Star tunes in the past and can recommend them based on my experience. They can give you multiple tunes to try and should be able to give you more power and better shift strategy for towing. Quicker, firmer shifts in theory allow for less slippage in the trans, thereby reducing wear and tear on trans internals. Heat is a killer so an upgraded intercooler along with the tune may help.

Jclark20

Reaction score
Thank you @JasonH and @StephenOsborne1 !

I have been doing a lot of reading on the site looking for all the info to be the safest when towing.

I have a 2016 El with with TRUTRACK 4P WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION HITCH WITH 4X SWAY CONTROL, 8-10K #17500 . I recently purchased a 33ft Venture Stratus with a UVW of 7,010lb and a hitch weight of 850Lb (I am going to the scales this weekend to conform) and a GVWR of 9,290, I know I will need to watch my weight real close as I am already at limits with wife and 4 kids in vehicle. I have only gone on a short 500mile round trip and the Expy pulled great at 65mph. I do have a slight sag but not much after making some adjustments to the WDH my only suspension concerns are a slight bounce on rebound when hitting bumps so I think I will upgrade to Bilstein 5100 all the way around.

With your experience towing with the Expedition is there anything else I should do differently?

Stephen, I like the idea of using a tune to help reduce wear and tear on the trans. What do you think about upgraded turbos for a little more torque?

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thank you @JasonH and @StephenOsborne1 !

I have been doing a lot of reading on the site looking for all the info to be the safest when towing.

I have a 2016 El with with TRUTRACK 4P WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION HITCH WITH 4X SWAY CONTROL, 8-10K #17500 . I recently purchased a 33ft Venture Stratus with a UVW of 7,010lb and a hitch weight of 850Lb (I am going to the scales this weekend to conform) and a GVWR of 9,290, I know I will need to watch my weight real close as I am already at limits with wife and 4 kids in vehicle. I have only gone on a short 500mile round trip and the Expy pulled great at 65mph. I do have a slight sag but not much after making some adjustments to the WDH my only suspension concerns are a slight bounce on rebound when hitting bumps so I think I will upgrade to Bilstein 5100 all the way around.

With your experience towing with the Expedition is there anything else I should do differently?

Stephen, I like the idea of using a tune to help reduce wear and tear on the trans. What do you think about upgraded turbos for a little more torque?
If running close to the weight limit, you should NOT run a tune that increases power. Maybe shifting. Most tuners recommend running Stock when towing heavy. The 6SPD that you have does better in my opinion towing heavy Stock than the 10 Speed. I lock out at least 9/10 in my 2020 even when towing light 4K or less.

Jclark20

Reaction score
Thank you @LokiWolf. I am used to modifing diesels so knowing what is best for these SUVs is new to me. I wish is was in a diesel but I am having a hard time justifying to my wife buying a nearly 20year old Excursion for the tow vehicle.I wish there was another diesel option that had a third row.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thank you @LokiWolf. I am used to modifing diesels so knowing what is best for these SUVs is new to me. I wish is was in a diesel but I am having a hard time justifying to my wife buying a nearly 20year old Excursion for the tow vehicle.I wish there was another diesel option that had a third row.
I came from a 250 being our main tow vehicle to my Wife's first expedition(2015) and was VERY impressed by the 3.5. So Much, I now own 2 of them, 2020 Expedition, and 2021 150 PowerBoost(Hybrid). These Ecoboosts feel very much like a diesel because of how low they get their Torque. While I miss my 250, I can't say that I need it anymore.

Jclark20

Reaction score
I do agree the power is nice in the Expedition. Even with the trailer weight I still had plenty of power left if needed.