Tuner and towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you @JasonH and @StephenOsborne1 !

With your experience towing with the Expedition is there anything else I should do differently?

Stephen, I like the idea of using a tune to help reduce wear and tear on the trans. What do you think about upgraded turbos for a little more torque?
You're on the right track by using a weight distribution hitch and planning a visit to the scales. I suggest loading up the camper as you would for a trip before going. I had to adjust my hitch after we starting add things to the camper. Thicker mattresses, extension cords, tools...all of it adds up and you'll have to be very careful where you place those items in the camper. With your higher tongue weight, you may need to relocate the battery or propane tanks.

The only towing specific upgrade I have is Cooper AT3 "E" tires. They are stiffer and more puncture resistant, and I much prefer them to the Hankook's I had previously. That's not to say that all "C" tires suck, but the Hankooks were particularly bad. They squirmed even without a camper when I would pass on two-lane roads over 75mph. I daily drive the Coopers at 45 psi and tow at 65 psi. I guess a compromise would be "D" tire, but my local Discount Tire had the Coopers stocked so I went with those. The Coopers have performed very well and increased stability. Punctures when towing suck. That's four fewer tires for me to worry about.

I've seen people say that a rear sway bar helps as well, but I haven't tried this upgrade myself, so it's purely anecdotal. I didn't feel the need to change anything else after doing the tires. Good luck and safe travels.

Jclark20

Reaction score
You're on the right track by using a weight distribution hitch and planning a visit to the scales. I suggest loading up the camper as you would for a trip before going. I had to adjust my hitch after we starting add things to the camper. Thicker mattresses, extension cords, tools...all of it adds up and you'll have to be very careful where you place those items in the camper. With your higher tongue weight, you may need to relocate the battery or propane tanks.

The only towing specific upgrade I have is Cooper AT3 "E" tires. They are stiffer and more puncture resistant, and I much prefer them to the Hankook's I had previously. That's not to say that all "C" tires suck, but the Hankooks were particularly bad. They squirmed even without a camper when I would pass on two-lane roads over 75mph. I daily drive the Coopers at 45 psi and tow at 65 psi. I guess a compromise would be "D" tire, but my local Discount Tire had the Coopers stocked so I went with those. The Coopers have performed very well and increased stability. Punctures when towing suck. That's four fewer tires for me to worry about.

I've seen people say that a rear sway bar helps as well, but I haven't tried this upgrade myself, so it's purely anecdotal. I didn't feel the need to change anything else after doing the tires. Good luck and safe travels.
Upgrading the tires are also on my to do list I have the Hankooks currently and can not stand them, the kids are always telling me we have a flat tire but they just look that's even with out a trailer. I was looking at the Michelin LTs load range Es. I will let you all know how the scale visit goes. Thank you for the suggestion on relocating the battery and LP tanks.

StephenOsborne1

Reaction score
Thank you @JasonH and @StephenOsborne1 !

I have been doing a lot of reading on the site looking for all the info to be the safest when towing.

I have a 2016 El with with TRUTRACK 4P WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION HITCH WITH 4X SWAY CONTROL, 8-10K #17500 . I recently purchased a 33ft Venture Stratus with a UVW of 7,010lb and a hitch weight of 850Lb (I am going to the scales this weekend to conform) and a GVWR of 9,290, I know I will need to watch my weight real close as I am already at limits with wife and 4 kids in vehicle. I have only gone on a short 500mile round trip and the Expy pulled great at 65mph. I do have a slight sag but not much after making some adjustments to the WDH my only suspension concerns are a slight bounce on rebound when hitting bumps so I think I will upgrade to Bilstein 5100 all the way around.

With your experience towing with the Expedition is there anything else I should do differently?

Stephen, I like the idea of using a tune to help reduce wear and tear on the trans. What do you think about upgraded turbos for a little more torque?
I've looked at upgraded turbos. Looks like Ford performance offers upgraded turbos that are direct replacement for not much more than stock. I think I'll try some myself in the near future...

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've looked at upgraded turbos. Looks like Ford performance offers upgraded turbos that are direct replacement for not much more than stock. I think I'll try some myself in the near future...
More power = more heat. If you upgrade the turbos, you may as well do the intercooler, radiator, and exhaust system as well.