Tuning the ecoboost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Hoover

Reaction score
i recently purchased my ‘18 Limited Max. It has the eco boost 375or so hp engine. To my understanding, the platinum comes with a “tuned 400 hp” engine. Is it possible to tune my 375 hp engine up to 400 hp? Has anyone done this?

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome, and congrats on the purchase.

There are myriad threads on here about tuning these engines. And they usually go WAY off the rails with peoples’ opinions.

My general understanding is “yes, there are tuning options” (livernois, 5 star, etc).

Good luck and I’m excited to see where this particular thread ends up when the moderators shut it down. Haha!

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Congratulations on you new purchase
I have a 2018 EXPY & a 2018 F150 3.5L ECOBOOST
Both are tuned using 5 star calibrations
Tremendous improvements over stock calibrations
Owned four gen one ecoboost 3.5L engines all tuned with Livernois calibrations
Never any mechanical issues
Always used premium fuels
Really like the potential of the ECOBOOST engines when recalibrated
Hope somebody does not jump on here & get nasty as they often seem to:burnout:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RAWWWWWWRRRRRR TUNING RAAAAAWWWRRRRR. Your whole truck will self destruct and void warranty as soon as you tune it, in fact the world as we know it will end. Kiss your 1st world life goodbye because your about to send us back to the stone ages.

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
RAWWWWWWRRRRRR TUNING RAAAAAWWWRRRRR. Your whole truck will self destruct and void warranty as soon as you tune it, in fact the world as we know it will end. Kiss your 1st world life goodbye because your about to send us back to the stone ages.

Interesting comment
Never had any warranty denied because my vehicle was tuned
Of course never had any mechanical problems with any of my vehicles (all of which were tuned)
BTW
If for some reason you are worried about drivetrain warranty 5 star & most other reputable tuning software houses offer an extended warranty that can be purchased from them
Think it is even cheaper than the extended drivetrain warranty offered by FOMOCO

Tom Lewis

Reaction score
I purchased a 2018 F-150 in July, had it tuned by 5star. After Thanksgiving this year, we purchased a 2018 Expedition for my wife to drive. Just ordered a ngauge and tunes from 5star for it. I've driven tuned cars for years, hadn't had a problem yet. But then again, I'm not one to be abusive with my vehicles either.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
You will not notice a 25hp increase. I read years ago, you have to almost double HP, before you really feel it. The increase would be at the top end and lets face it...its an Expedition. You are not going to 'red line it' much or race. A tuner is $300+, forces the use of Premium fuel and could easily void a warranty. I installed a Jet Performance module in my 2011 5.0l Mustang. All the gains are past 3,000rpm, when horsing it. The car drives the same, maybe a bit peppier.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
tuning for FI vs NA engines are night and day. your mustang is not a good base to go by. you can absolutely feel the difference of an ecoboost motor tune. i would go as far to say almost night and day difference. now if you are tuning for just the 25hp difference of the platinum, then yes i agree, that will likely not be felt.

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
tuning for FI vs NA engines are night and day. your mustang is not a good base to go by. you can absolutely feel the difference of an ecoboost motor tune. i would go as far to say almost night and day difference. now if you are tuning for just the 25hp difference of the platinum, then yes i agree, that will likely not be felt.

Engine torque from a dead stop dramatically improved with the 5 star tunes for my 2018 EXPY & 2018 F150 3.5L ECOBOOST
Both will break the tires loose from a dead stop with just moderately opening throttle
Engines in both of them pull hard to redline at wot
Transmission shifting characteristics dramatically improved (no skip shifts either)
A.S.S. system defeated
Average mileage improved about 1.5 mpg
Can't imagine anyone who has owned a previously tuned ecoboost vehicle not tuning their new vehicle as well
Have tuned all 6 of my ecoboost vehicles starting with my 2011 F150
ZERO mechanical problems with any of them
Have to believe the naysayers have never driven an tuned ECOBOOST vehicle
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE:)

Dark Z

Reaction score
Engine torque from a dead stop dramatically improved with the 5 star tunes for my 2018 EXPY & 2018 F150 3.5L ECOBOOST
Both will break the tires loose from a dead stop with just moderately opening throttle
Engines in both of them pull hard to redline at wot
Transmission shifting characteristics dramatically improved (no skip shifts either)
A.S.S. system defeated
Average mileage improved about 1.5 mpg
Can't imagine anyone who has owned a previously tuned ecoboost vehicle not tuning their new vehicle as well
Have tuned all 6 of my ecoboost vehicles starting with my 2011 F150
ZERO mechanical problems with any of them
Have to believe the naysayers have never driven an tuned ECOBOOST vehicle
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE:)
Just curious if your Expy is stock with the tune? I'm thinking about adding some Air Filter and maybe some exhaust to breathe better for the tune.