Turbo Flutter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Team_Z

Reaction score
Any one get a turbo flutter happening? Mine has done this a few times now, I see my boost gauge lose and gain boost rapidly. Anyone had this issue?

Sounds like your trying to whistle with your mouth open breathing in and out.

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you hear it or just notice the gauge bouncing? Under certain conditions my gauge will flutter, but I can’t hear or feel anything with the engine/power.

OP
OP
Team_Z

Team_Z

Reaction score
Do you hear it or just notice the gauge bouncing? Under certain conditions my gauge will flutter, but I can’t hear or feel anything with the engine/power.
I hear it, it sound like we might be having a BOV issue, they are not vented to the atmosphere but yet I here the whoosh you get from high performance systems or modifications. I’ll just have to ride it out until it breaks I guess. Oh well. It seems I can cause mine under an up hill load on the engine. How about you?

kodigray2015

Reaction score
I’m having what I think is the same issue.

When driving down the road especially at interstate speeds my boost gauge will jump up and down rapidly about 2-4 psi and you can hear the whistle of the turbo go up and down with it. If you change engine load it stops.

Is it something to do with the waste gate actuators? I know there was some issues in the past with the vacuum actuated ones but is there issues with the electronic one also?

CT Expedition

Reaction score
I was recommended to try this thread for my issue. I have a 2019 Expedition - about a year ago (~30,000 miles) it started making a surging noise - like whoop, whoop at 1600 RPM. The engine has to be under slight strain - either up hill or towing the boat. If I have the boost gauge displayed you can see it fluctuates back and forth in time with the noise (the gauge flutters from 1/4 to 1/3 of full scale). If I can hold the RPMs at 1600 it continues to do this. If I accelerate or decelerate even slightly the noise stops, the boost gauge is steady. There are no other issues at any other RPM or load situations. There is no loss of power when this happens, it just sounds odd. I would say the noise comes from the left side (drivers) of the engine. Originally, I though it was a tire or mud flap vibrating in the wind until I saw the boost gauge respond like it does. Normally, the engine runs strong, accelerates fine, has no other obvious issues. Also I have an AFE Magnum Force Performance Cold Air Intake System and a Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust System installed.

Last edited:

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have had this same issue intermittently. I thought the same as others have suggested, stock recirc valve was failing. I bought a GFB blow off valve and I have had it happen once since the install. I can't pinpoint it but will update if I figure it out.

kryichek

Reaction score
Anyone figure this out? In my 2021 with 36k I have noticed a random revving up sound every so often. Its not very loud, its easier to hear with radio and climate control off. It doesnt seem to correlate it to the turbo gauge, speed, uphill, downhill, transmission gear, etc. It doesnt do it at idle. I need to be moving. Sounds like its coming from the drivers side.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Definitely nothing to do with the BOV. Mine has done this essentially since I bought it, but it definitely got worse after I had the turbos replaced under warranty. and I can say it's not the BOV as I have a VTA BOV and the flutter (which many tuners call turbo surge) still happens and it's independent of the BOV. My tuners have said that if I can capture it happening during logging, they might be able to tune it out, so I think it's a programming thing. I just haven't had the time to really try and capture it, but it definitely happens more for me with my 91 tune vs my 89.