Turn signal LED replacement brand?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Take a look at the picture in my initial post. The incandescent bulbs were literally burning up the sockets. I wanted LEDs because they run cooler while producing the same or slightly higher level of brightness. Resistors generate heat which is what I was trying eliminate in the first place.
What was wrong there ? I owned 50+ vehicles and never had any problems like that.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My right rear turn signal died so I replaced them both with cheap incandescent bulbs. The housing were brown and blackened from too much heat. I’d like to replace them with LEDs but I don’t want to mess with splicing in a resistor if they throw an error or do the rapid blink.
I have a 2016 XLT and if you have replaced your turn signal bulbs with LEDs without experiencing the rapid blinking then please reply with the brand and model.

thank you

View attachment 37327
I don't get it, did an incandescent bulb cause that and if so why?

fuzzmanmatt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tungsten emits light around 2500°C, so bulbs tend to get a little warm. That heat is strong enough to damage the phenolic resin used in the housings. A lot of companies offer high temp sockets, but if you put an LED bulb in, you can get more lumens per watt at a far lower temperature, resulting in a win-win depending on reflector and bulb design.

OP
OP
A

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I feel like such an idiot. Against my better judgment I ordered a top rated Forscan USB adapter off Amazon.

The PDF instructions being wrong was my first clue - they said there was an executable install file and that doesn't exist. Easy enough, I pointed each USB device in the Device Manager to where I'd saved the files.
Spent $30 getting the 5 year Forscan license.

Now I'm sitting in my Expedition and it doesn't see the bleeping adapter.

What an unbelievable waste of time over light bulbs. At least I can return the $30 adapter and $20 bulbs. The $30 for the Forscan license - lesson learned - live with the $6 bulbs.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I feel like such an idiot. Against my better judgment I ordered a top rated Forscan USB adapter off Amazon.

The PDF instructions being wrong was my first clue - they said there was an executable install file and that doesn't exist. Easy enough, I pointed each USB device in the Device Manager to where I'd saved the files.

What an unbelievable waste of time over light bulbs. At least I can return the $30 adapter and $20 bulbs. The $30 for the Forscan license - lesson learned - live with the $6 bulbs.
The stock setup is looking better all the time. I bought a laptop computer so I could use Forscan but most of the sellers said it won't work on my truck so I had to sell the laptop without getting Forscan. My stock taillights are just fine.

Robert McMillan

17plati
Reaction score

Which adapter did you get? I FB has to be M/S and H/S CAN type and the switch needs to be on a certain one to have it communicate. Also this is where you could’ve gotten the free 2 month license, you need a username and password and the hardware device number from Forscan software itself.

https://forscan.org/forum/extlic.php?&sid=739d4ac2fda2f1b6dd4ed945b2c3d904

Here instructions on how to do it:

https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=836

Would’ve taken you about 5 minutes

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OHP ELMconfig Forscan OBD2 Adapter with MS-Can & HS-Can Switch for Ford DIY Diagnostics on Windows https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F0GVBWY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_rUtiJc1P91LhH

This is the adaptor I got to do everything. I also used it to activate the factory TB controller, among many other things. I’ve seen your posts on the project getting 12v auxiliary power to the 7 prong trailer adaptor (I think that was you, anyway, such a great, super helpful write up, BTW). I know you’re getting frustrated, but you’re definitely capable of doing this. Send the adaptor back when you’re done if you don’t care to mess with it in future. Unfortunately, I guess you are sunk on the money for the Forscan license.

OP
OP
A

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It took me a day to recover from being PO'd at the OHP for not working. Now that I'm over it I spent more money and ordered the OBDLink EX. Cause it is always best to throw more money at a small problem:)
I'm going on a short trip so I set it to arrive next week. If it connects up as easily then I'll reorder the LEDs and try it again.
The short duration when tapping the blinker has annoyed me - I don't change lanes that fast in SoCal so being able to increase the time sounds ideal plus Langer's comments inspired me.
Wiring the 7 pin for power was easy on the Expy. Try it on an Odyssey with no ramps and a bottle jack. Slowly working my way around the car.