Two-way Radio Antenna Mount & Cable Routing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KFordEx8

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I plan to get a cellular booster and looking for ideas on antenna mounting and cable pass through into the cabin. If available, I am thinking about a clamp-on type of roof rail mount that allows for the antenna to be folded down for garage parking. Open to any suggestions.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am planning to mount a fold down/easy removal antenna on the roof rack near the back and enter through the back hatch. Generally you can tuck the cable under the trim panels and get it to where you want it to be. I haven't done it yet in the expedition but that is what I am planning.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Because of the frequency that Cellular operates at, they are not tall, and don't have to be to work well, just outside of the metal box/cabin.

These are some of the best Active boosters on the market:

You will notice the size on the antenna. No folding needed and they are magnetic. They are barely taller than what is already on the roof of our expeditions. I have the model that preceded the Drive X in our 17 Expedition that we no longer have and it worked well. Haven't installed it in the 2020, because we haven't been traveling as much.

Tocapet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I plan to get a cellular booster and looking for ideas on antenna mounting and cable pass through into the cabin. If available, I am thinking about a clamp-on type of roof rail mount that allows for the antenna to be folded down for garage parking. Open to any suggestions.
It's not hard. I installed a rear camera in my '09 and ran the cable above the headliner. Harbor Freight tools sells a set of fiberglass rods that screw together for running cable in walls. I was able to pass the cable from the front camera all the way to the back like that. You can do that with your antenna cable.

Truck3

Reaction score
Cellular antennas can be mounted as a glass mount on the driver’s side rear most window. The best location is just rear of the C post.
Cable routing behind the interior trim is easy and spacious down to the sill on the drivers side. From there, your amp location will dictate the route.
Do not mount a cellular glass mount antenna on the passenger side of the vehicle due to interference with the AM antenna loop built in to the passenger side rear glass.

fuzzmanmatt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you don't need to use a glass mount antenna, don't. They work, but not as good as something hard wired. Cell antennas are easy, if you were mounting a ham radio I would recommend a FlexiWhip, those things are amazing. I go through parking garages with mine and hear it smack into the beams all the time, but it's super flexible so it doesn't damage anything. I have an 800mhz antenna that's about the size of a film canister, and I don't think the cell booster antennas are any bigger. Make you sure run any coax behind the airbags, you don't want even more things whipping at your face if you ever need them.

Dewey3

Reaction score
I might be wrong, but I don't think there are any good places on our newer aluminum Expys for magnetic antennas. Since I'm not a roof rail person, I do the same thing I did on my previous '15 Explorer. Drop the interior dome light in the back and go through the roof for the best ground plane, then fish the coax to the back of the back door and go down the pillar.

Attachments

• 20211127_143359.jpg
    20211127_143359.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Again, If you go with the ones I linked above…none of the mounting talked about above matters. Modern Cell antennas do not need a “ground plane” outside of the antenna. 100% on what was said about glass mount antennas. Not optimal for the frequency bands used today for modern cell phones.

Use one of the kits I linked above, and mount the antenna provided on the roof per thier instructions, and it will work. Pretty easy.

Clif Keely

Reaction score
I am waiting for a Diamond K9000 power tilt over mount to arrive. The plan is to mount on the roof rack side rail to the inside or on the crosbar.
Diamond offers a C101 cable that is long enough to go up the post behind the driver and at 1/8 in diameter the cable can pass through the closure on the door and it's weather seal. I had similar with no problem on my pickup for about 12 years. Check the information on line. I bought mine from DX Engineering, see their on line catalog.