U.K. Lighting Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dukerollo

Reaction score
I am moving to England and am taking my 2020 Expedition. To be legal there it has to have a red rear fog light and amber rear indicators.

Has anyone done this? Does anyone know of a clean way to get the above accomplished?

There are unfortunately no U.K. spec Expeditions to rob lights from. Thanks for any help.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I moved my first expedition to the UK (back in 1998) I also had to modify it to register it in the uk. I got some front mini (the mini car indicators) indicators and mounted them at the back of the expedition and then modified the wiring at the brake light switch so that it only operated the rear brake lights (no longer flashes the left and right brake lights) I then ran 3 extra wires from the front of the car to the rear of the car, 2 of the wires where for the left and right indicators, (I connected the front of the wires to the front indicator bulbs & the rear to the equivalent rear indicator) the third wire was then wired to a switch and operated the rear fog light, you can buy fog lights almost anywhere in the UK (Which I mounted on the rear tow hitch frame)!! The indicator bulbs are not the prettiest looking bulbs but were legal and easy to fit a wire up. Hope that gives you some ideas..

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Blimey, which road are you going to drive it on?! One of the issues is also that the tail and turn signals are integrated (on the XLT, anyway).

In addition, my guess is that the lenses may need to be approved by some regulation (as for all UK vehicles - equivalent to DOT approved in the US). As noted above, using external lights/housings which are approved for use is likely the best way (if ugly).

Perhaps you have got the official paperwork, and gives better guidelines. Hate to see you take it over there and they say it’s not road legal - they are extremely strict in the uk, and has increased dramatically over the past decade, especially for modifications.