Under Bumper Air Dam, got to go

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I never saw any change up or down in mpgs?

You are lifted, and tuned.

We aren’t talking like a whole MPG, we are probably talking 0.5 or less. It matters for FORD, but probably not for the average consumer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was going to pull it today but looking at it a couple of the side deflectors attach to it as well.
I am going to trim it just did not have the time to do all that today.

RogerD1959

2.5 Months Ltr, and Final Bill 22K+
Reaction score
UPDATE FROM FORD

Don't ditch the air dam if you have the HD tow pkg. Live where it gets real hot. Or do lots of mountain driving. I asked about it and it does serve a purpose. All of that had to be replaced after that drunk hit me. 'It creates a significant upward push of air in front of the Radiator, Turbo Intercooler, Oil Cooler, and Transmission Oil cooler. It also creates a High air pressure area behind grille, and in front of the cooling equipment matrix. A low air pressure area is in the engine bay. The imbalance in the air Pressure helps move the air across the cooling matrix more efficiently.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
UPDATE FROM FORD

Don't ditch the air dam if you have the HD tow pkg. Live where it gets real hot. Or do lots of mountain driving. I asked about it and it does serve a purpose. All of that had to be replaced after that drunk hit me. 'It creates a significant upward push of air in front of the Radiator, Turbo Intercooler, Oil Cooler, and Transmission Oil cooler. It also creates a High air pressure area behind grille, and in front of the cooling equipment matrix. A low air pressure area is in the engine bay. The imbalance in the air Pressure helps move the air across the cooling matrix more efficiently.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Where did you get this info?

Many people have been without it for a while!

Have you measured temps with and without it?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You tried to make this argument before.

Engine Temps are thermostat controlled, and ours open late. ECT’s for mine are the same whether running down the highway in 20 Degree weather at 80, or climbing a mountain in 90 Degree weather with 6K behind me on an open car trailer with A LOT of wind resistance.

Trans Temps can get warm under heavy load in comparison to older Trans, but the 6R80 has no issues at those Temps.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You tried to make this argument before.

Engine Temps are thermostat controlled, and ours open late. ECT’s for mine are the same whether running down the highway in 20 Degree weather at 80, or climbing a mountain in 90 Degree weather with 6K behind me on an open car trailer with A LOT of wind resistance.

Trans Temps can get warm under heavy load in comparison to older Trans, but the 6R80 has no issues at those Temps.

Are you guys referring to this strip of plastic that the tow hooks go through? I believe it’s just for aerodynamics/ cosmetic. They remove them all the time on the gas and diesel super duties for plows with no problems.
213E734E-346D-49EE-ACD7-1EADB05C7D98.jpeg

coupe11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know from experience that without a similar spoiler my oldest son's 83 Z28 would run hotter without that spoiler. It didn't seem like a big thing at first but after the weather warmed up he complained of it not really coming down to normal temps at lower speeds or in stop and go traffic. We replaced the spoiler and never had issues after that.

Hey, I thought the control system was kind of stupid. They put a 190 F thermostat in it and then set the fan up to wait till it gets up to about 228 F before the system turns the fan on. At that point it will come back to just under 190 F before the fan shuts off. Not sure (haven't had an issue) how the Expedition cooling system is set up.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A smaller sports car isn’t really the same ball of wax as our full size sport utilities that are setup to tow.....with the HD tow package we have a lot of cooling capacity. If you think about it we can haul 8,000 pounds up a pass on a 90 degree day without an overheat, so this spoiler shouldn’t be huge. Maybe I’m wrong.

Last edited:

creef14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're removing it for solely aesthetic purposes meanwhile you are also tuning and upgrading in attempts to juice every last bit of performance/mpg out of your truck or you're hauling heavy loads regularly, I don't get it. Cooler engines, within operating temp ranges, are generally more efficient engines so the removal becomes kinda counterproductive.

If you just drive it around town 99% of the time, then it's probably less of a risk.

But at the end of the day, you paid for it do with it as you please. I've seen people make far dumber decisions than keeping or removing an air dam with far more expensive vehicles.

But, FWIW I believe in keeping all your good condition OEM parts. first, you never know who may need them one day (including yourself) and second, if someone else needs it you can usually sell it to them at a good discount and get some money for the next mod, everyone wins