Unusual Coolant Petcock Location?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TBirdIV

Reaction score
Howdy all,

I've got a 2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L.

I'm trying to drain the coolant and am unsure if I have found the petcock. I searched the forums and didn't any threads about this. If I've overlooked them I'd greatly appreciate if you could link me.

All the guides I can find say that the petcock to drain the coolant should be at the front passenger side of the car just by the frame. However, when I look there on my Expedition I don't see a petcock.
IMG_20200607_120530.jpg
IMG_20200607_120535.jpg

I looked all around for the petcock and found a petcock that is directly on the underside of a radiator on the driver's side, in front of the oil filter.
IMG_20200607_120608.jpg

Is this the actual coolant petcock? Don't want to drain the wrong fluid.

Thanks very much for your help!
-TBird

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your radiator may have been replaced with a non-stock radiator (?).
With the petcock attached directly to the radiator, it has to be the radiator
drain.

Before attempting to open the petcock, check for any corrosion that might
have compromised the fitting, preventing complete closure after draining.

If the petcock is suspect, you can drain the radiator by removing the lower coolant hose
located at the bottom of the radiator.

From your photos (nice job) it appears that the petcock is free of corrosion.

OP
OP
T

TBirdIV

Reaction score
Your radiator may have been replaced with a non-stock radiator (?).
With the petcock attached directly to the radiator, it has to be the radiator
drain.

Before attempting to open the petcock, check for any corrosion that might
have compromised the fitting, preventing complete closure after draining.

If the petcock is suspect, you can drain the radiator by removing the lower coolant hose
located at the bottom of the radiator.

From your photos (nice job) it appears that the petcock is free of corrosion.

Thanks very much for your reply Don

Would it make a difference if the vehicle was bought and used at high altitude and very low temperature (Rockies)? I can't see why it would but I also can't see why the petcock would be where it is.

Unfortunately, can't ask the previous owner if the radiator was replaced as he's no longer in the world of the living. The vehicle was hardly ever used, always garaged, washed often, and no visible corrosion anywhere on the vehicle so I'm guessing the salt didn't get to it much.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, that white bolt looking fitting is your radiator drain ****. Just loosen it till you get a good flow coming out, you don't need to completely remove it.

dolphans1

Reaction score
Howdy all,

I've got a 2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L.

I'm trying to drain the coolant and am unsure if I have found the petcock. I searched the forums and didn't any threads about this. If I've overlooked them I'd greatly appreciate if you could link me.

All the guides I can find say that the petcock to drain the coolant should be at the front passenger side of the car just by the frame. However, when I look there on my Expedition I don't see a petcock.
View attachment 36473
View attachment 36474

I looked all around for the petcock and found a petcock that is directly on the underside of a radiator on the driver's side, in front of the oil filter.
View attachment 36475

Is this the actual coolant petcock? Don't want to drain the wrong fluid.

Thanks very much for your help!
-TBird
T-Bird - I have a 2003 Eddie Bauer Edition and mine is on the same location as the one you’ve illustrated. YouTube has nothing, which goes to show no one does this much, there is an 04 shown that’s on the passenger side. I know for a fact I have an original radiator and mine is a 03 like yours. How did it work for yours, did it drain?

Thanks,

d-1

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01