Update all versions of Ford Sync 3 to the latest Sync 3.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
True, I CAN browse music in different folders.
Wait, you can browse the USB media folders while driving? Wtf, mine is locked out, tells me the feature is unavailable while driving or something to that effect.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wait, you can browse the USB media folders while driving? Wtf, mine is locked out, tells me the feature is unavailable while driving or something to that effect.

Could there be a difference in your Forscan settings that is allowing it on one, but not the other? Maybe it could also be file types or usb drive formatting? The usb navigation is presented like it is a bug. Usually a bug requires a specific set of triggers.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have my USBs formatted in exfat. That format can be read by Windows, Linux & MAC/Unix. I’m positive these media head units are Linux OS.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have my USBs formatted in exfat. That format can be read by Windows, Linux & MAC/Unix. I’m positive these media head units are Linux OS.

Not really Linux. QNX written by Blackberry. It more closely resembles Unix and is designed for embedded devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just checked my usb thumbdrive and region codes. Currently, my region codes are all set to "0" or NA. My usb drive is actually formatted as fat32 so I'll change that to exfat and see if it helps. But it would be really weird for formatting to only not work in certain situations, in most a cases it either works or it doesn't with formatting. I may just try going from 19200 to the version you tried.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Hey DWs-TTEB, any chance you can check your region settings using forscan? I believe it's ACM-727-04-01, but I also see docs saying its FCIM-7A7-01-01.

Regardless, I tried this today, would be curious what others are seeing, as I'd love to find a solution to this. After these two attempts, I still get the "For your safety, some features have been disabled while your vehicle is in motion." message when trying to browse folders on a usb drive, by clicking on the new search button in the top right of the screen. Clicking that prior to 3.4 used to allow me to select folders, artists, albums, etc.

This afternoon I tried two different things to see if I could get the "browse USB media" functions back, so far to no avail. First, I reformatted my USB to exFAT. Second I upgrade to 3.4.20136. Still no work-e-y.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey DWs-TTEB, any chance you can check your region settings using forscan? I believe it's ACM-727-04-01, but I also see docs saying its FCIM-7A7-01-01.

Regardless, I tried this today, would be curious what others are seeing, as I'd love to find a solution to this. After these two attempts, I still get the "For your safety, some features have been disabled while your vehicle is in motion." message when trying to browse folders on a usb drive, by clicking on the new search button in the top right of the screen. Clicking that prior to 3.4 used to allow me to select folders, artists, albums, etc.

This afternoon I tried two different things to see if I could get the "browse USB media" functions back, so far to no avail. First, I reformatted my USB to exFAT. Second I upgrade to 3.4.20136. Still no work-e-y.

I am ordering my OBD2 to forscan reader this week. I’ll look into when I can.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@5280tunage other options you can try, load the music on an MP3 player or downgrade sync until a fix is made in an Sync 3.4 update.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I get it, I mean I have lots of my music on my phone but nothing beats the simplicity of putting over 100GB of music, some of which I've been collecting for 20+ years, on a simple usb thumbdrive. And more over, the fact that it used to work just fine, until the 3.4 upgrade, its mostly annoying that Ford might have taken that functionality away.

Jon F

Reaction score
Ready to update to 3.4 and I can't seem to find the location of the latest download and directions. I've been reading this for over an hour.... can someone point me in the right direction? Thank you!