Update all versions of Ford Sync 3 to the latest Sync 3.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was over the Air updates turned on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I will have to check.

If so, why would it downgrade me?

I guess I will just upgrade to 3.4_20282 build tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I will have to check.

If so, why would it downgrade me?

I guess I will just upgrade to 3.4_20282 build tomorrow.

Very possible depending on how they scripted the AutoInstall file. Was it set to update?

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone have theirs randomly downgrade?

I thought mine looked different this morning and looked at the ABOUT page. I did not touch anything and it seemed to be fine yesterday. Then again, most days it goes almost straight to CarPlay and I don’t see the normal Ford SYNC screen.

Mine is now at SYNC 3.3, Build 19052.

WTF!

That's pretty scary. Even if auto install was on, to downgrade is generally considered a death sentence for systems like this. There are far too many settings, databases, etc that generally have schema updates, etc. Downgrades are never great, unless of course it did some sort of complete format, which even then is even more scary. Hope your experience is a unicorn (as a my daughters would say).

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Very possible depending on how they scripted the AutoInstall file. Was it set to update?

Yes, it was.

But to go from 3.4_19200 to 3.3 is super weird.

I am now at 3.4_20282 or whatever the latest instance was in CyanLabs software. It did the full reformat and whatever.

Only took mine 19:43 to complete from USB install to reboot.

I am currently at the latest and greatest with an upgrade to 19 maps, too.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's pretty scary. Even if auto install was on, to downgrade is generally considered a death sentence for systems like this. There are far too many settings, databases, etc that generally have schema updates, etc. Downgrades are never great, unless of course it did some sort of complete format, which even then is even more scary. Hope your experience is a unicorn (as a my daughters would say).

Me, too.

I turned off auto update as a precaution anyway.

It was just really odd to come out and see a different looking SYNC screen. But like I said, I can’t say for certain how long it had been like that as I usually plug my iPhone in before I even start the vehicle so it goes right into CarPlay.

That day just happened to have my phone get stuck in some Lock Screen issue so CarPlay would not open up without me unlocking my phone first. This used to happen to me often, but it had not since summer.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Me, too.

I turned off auto update as a precaution anyway.

It was just really odd to come out and see a different looking SYNC screen. But like I said, I can’t say for certain how long it had been like that as I usually plug my iPhone in before I even start the vehicle so it goes right into CarPlay.

That day just happened to have my phone get stuck in some Lock Screen issue so CarPlay would not open up without me unlocking my phone first. This used to happen to me often, but it had not since summer.

Lou, The other possibility is the Dealer. Has it been in recently for anything? They might have done the "Update" as a courtesy. The Dealer system just looks to see if you are compliant with the most recent officially supported version, and installs that if it isn't currently installed. Happened to a friend I had upgraded to 3.4. Took his 2016 back to 3.0.XXXXX. Just a thought.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lou, The other possibility is the Dealer. Has it been in recently for anything? They might have done the "Update" as a courtesy. The Dealer system just looks to see if you are compliant with the most recent officially supported version, and installs that if it isn't currently installed. Happened to a friend I had upgraded to 3.4. Took his 2016 back to 3.0.XXXXX. Just a thought.

No, just an oil change through their Express Service (basically a JiffyLube or Grease Monkey type of service lane that my dealer offers).

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No, just an oil change through their Express Service (basically a JiffyLube or Grease Monkey type of service lane that my dealer offers).

Yeah, I have Express Lane too. Wondering if they did the courtesy check and it updated. Just an option.