Update all versions of Ford Sync 3 to the latest Sync 3.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I have Express Lane too. Wondering if they did the courtesy check and it updated. Just an option.

I guess anything is possible. I'll monitor it moving forward.

Would there be a possibility that they brick it if they move it to another version that was Previous to the reformat?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I guess anything is possible. I'll monitor it moving forward.

Would there be a possibility that they brick it if they move it to another version that was Previous to the reformat?

No the way the dealership system does it is different.

There is always a risk...but it would be on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jstrain14

Reaction score
Anyone know if the same USB drive can be used to update multiple vehicles? I tested the update on my 2016 F-150 and everything went smoothly. I am curious if I need to make any changes to the USB before updating my wife's 2018 Expedition. The files on the usb drive seem to be unchanged after performing the update on my F-150.

Details:
F-150 Sync 2.2 build 17011 -> 3.4 build 20282 :waytogo:
Expedition Sync 3.0 build 17276 -> (update pending)

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone know if the same USB drive can be used to update multiple vehicles? I tested the update on my 2016 F-150 and everything went smoothly. I am curious if I need to make any changes to the USB before updating my wife's 2018 Expedition. The files on the usb drive seem to be unchanged after performing the update on my F-150.

Details:
F-150 Sync 2.2 build 17011 -> 3.4 build 20282 :waytogo:
Expedition Sync 3.0 build 17276 -> (update pending)

Are you using CyanLabs newest drive builder?

If so as long as they are Both Nav or Both Non-Nav the same drive should work.

jstrain14

Reaction score
Are you using CyanLabs newest drive builder?

If so as long as they are Both Nav or Both Non-Nav the same drive should work.

The .tar.gz files did come from the CyanLabs drive builder, but I can only access it via a virtual desktop (my device is a Mac and I don't have access to a PC at the moment). I used the "download only option" and then moved the files to a USB. Had to add the reformat.lst, along with the autoinstall.lst to the USB as well (screen print of drive contents below).

Both vehicles have Navigation. Sounds like I'll be attempting the update on the expedition this evening. Thanks @LokiWolf !

upload_2021-1-22_13-17-36.png

nybandit

Reaction score
Yep.

Thanks Loki.... next question, which version do I want? We both have 3.0 SYNC I am build 18093 and she is 18025, both with Nav. Just stable upgrade that is turnkey! (Especially for her, any quirks and I'll never hear the end of it!)

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If i did the update and my apim bricked would the dealership be able to tell that I caused it if i have it replaced under warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If i did the update and my apim bricked would the dealership be able to tell that I caused it if i have it replaced under warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? What update were you doing? Did you interrupt it? I have done hundreds of these updates at this point, and never bricked one.

No, tell them you were doing the update per instructions from Fords update site. They will use the Dealer system to format the APIM.