Update all versions of Ford Sync 3 to the latest Sync 3.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wpa3 for the most part requires a wifi6 compatible AP (in many cases known as a wave2 AP). It's not generally a firmware update for consumer grade devices, as it requires I believe about 2-3x the cryptographic performance. Only one of my APs is wave 2 so I'm still stuck with 2. There are other things you can do to help secure things, ensuring 802.1x, blocking all mac addresses (yes those can be spoofed as well) except ones you know about, but a layered approach is better. I believe the modules/dictionaries for wpa3 inspection are available for kali or will be soon.

Just remember though, clients have to be able to connect via wpa3 or either they won't connect, or it will revert to 2. I would say less than 25% of the devices I have (which right now is 32 clients) support wpa3. So it can make troubleshooting harder.

But at least you're using AES encryption vs. legacy tkip.

mpc11

Reaction score
Master Reset did not bring back album art.

I was able to connect to my cell phone hot spot but not my home network with a "...Sync unable to connect...," to my WAP. Very strange...

Tried rebooting several times. No impact. I re-ran the install again. Still no install errors. Same result.
61d0bb3dc5b22d8da535bc5b9f33aa1b.jpg71dba80a4f5082b8c830f59a8630effd.jpg

Same issue here re: album art after updating to 21020. Not showing in Sirius or mp3s on a usb drive. Was showing on all previous versions/updates.

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t know that I ever recall seeing album artwork on my Expedition, regardless the version of Sync. My 19 Ram has it though. I was actually going to ask if it was possible to get the album artwork...

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm having an issue with 21020 where pressing the voice button on the steering wheel returns a message that voice activation is disabled. This only happens when my Galaxy S21 is plugged in before I start the vehicle.

In addition, when I activate Google Voice (ex. "OK, Google) it listens for a command and there's no way to cancel it until I tell it to do something. Previously, saying, "cancel," or pressing the hang up button steering wheel would work. In some instances, it keeps activating and I need to unplug the phone.

I'm not sure if I should go back to a previous Sync version. I cleared the data on my phone for the Android Assistant, Google, reset Android Auto, and a Master Reset on the Expedition.

Any suggestions?

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t know that I ever recall seeing album artwork on my Expedition, regardless the version of Sync. My 19 Ram has it though. I was actually going to ask if it was possible to get the album artwork...

Same. I don't think it's ever worked. If anyone has a solution or something to try that would be great.

And yes, I have a new Ram too and it works flawlessly on the Uconnect system. IMO, it is much better than Ford Sync.

mpc11

Reaction score
Same. I don't think it's ever worked. If anyone has a solution or something to try that would be great.

And yes, I have a new Ram too and it works flawlessly on the Uconnect system. IMO, it is much better than Ford Sync.
On 3.4 21020, album art started showing again for my mp3s on a usb stick after messing with some of the settings. It's in the shop at the moment, so I don't remember the exact options, but I changed from media player to the other drop down, gracenote slide on then off, media player on again.. Still doesn't work on Sirius though.

I have a 2020 Fusion as a loaner at the moment. Its on 3.4, 19274. Album art is showing both for mp3's and sirius.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On 3.4 21020, album art started showing again for my mp3s on a usb stick after messing with some of the settings. It's in the shop at the moment, so I don't remember the exact options, but I changed from media player to the other drop down, gracenote slide on then off, media player on again.. Still doesn't work on Sirius though.

I have a 2020 Fusion as a loaner at the moment. Its on 3.4, 19274. Album art is showing both for mp3's and sirius.

It would be nice if it worked for SXM. Where is the gracenote on/off selection?

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's hidden until the Media Player is active from the Source menu. It's been a while, but I believe it's on the options menu in the MP app.

Last edited: